SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast solidmedia's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[LAYOUT] Design needs your opinion and critcs asap!

Hey guys,

I have gone through this process a couple of times now on sitepoint, now with another redesign I would like your opinions.

Any suggestions/ideas will greatly help.

Thanking you in advance and looking forward to your replies!
    SOLID Media Solutions
    http://www.solidmedia.net.au

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a couple of thoughts...

1) Watch your spacing and position of items.
    2) Try dropping the overall text size, the kerning is a little tight too.
    3) add a bit more space around the text in the latest work blob.
    4)try keeping the navigation together. Its a little distracting having the logo and call text inbetween the top level navigation and the sub navigation.
    5) align the navigation to the left( unless you plan to use the orange across the whole page)
    6) a bit too much shadow around everything,try reducing it a bit, and limiting the number of objects you use it on.
    7) loose the blue border around the body text

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with the Gentleman/lady above on many of the points though I'll try to give you a pointer in areas I would try to improve.

The horizonal and vertical elements do not sit well together. The first navigation bar is full width, wheras the second is smaller and centered. The previous poster mentioned these two as confusing and I would agree. Perhaps you can combine them, one underneath the other at the head of the page. Technically the second nav describes your 'services' which has a mention in the first nav.

Nice logo, give it more emphasis. By removing the second nav up, you avoid the cut off that happens where it is right now. Make it bigger so that it occupies perhaps 2 thirds of the space beneath the header, I would then try moving your 'latest work' box up onto the same 'line' on the right. See how it works out. Give it plenty of whitespace.

Think about the positioning of elements in terms of Space, emphasis, and where they sit in terms of the grid. From what I've learnt so far, it is generally good to divide the page into thirds vertically and horizontally and see how you can line up thing better. You can sub divide the thirds to create and even more detailed idea of positioning. Try dividing by quarters if thirds doesn't work out, I've found it to be equally useful.

Hope this has given you some pointers- I think as it stands it is a very nice professional design, with a fresh feel and nice colour scheme. Don't overdo it on the coloured header text, as it is somewhat important to give enough contrast to be able to read comfortably. Also, just by trying to reposition elements that are currently on the page you will inevitably see what works and what doesn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank's for your advice guys - been pretty busy in the sitepoint contests area lately.

I've done my usual thing and nearly done a complete back flip on the design.

What do you all think about this one?

Thanks guys.
    SOLID Media Solutions

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, try tilting the "solid logo and bring the bi line out abit, it is loking abit tight right now
    Get a little bit extra out of life with www.stakemyrep.com
    and stay motivated the easy way!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unconformed View Post
    Hey, try tilting the "solid logo and bring the bi line out abit, it is loking abit tight right now
    Thank you for your reply.
    Whats the 'bi line' and what do you mean bring it out?
    SOLID Media Solutions

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In that there is too much blue, you need at least accents of other colours, you should also make the 4 boxes at the bottom different styles making it easier to distinguish them.

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like this design better than the first, though I agree it is too much in one direction with the blue. Try and bring the orange in more. You seem like a very creative guy so you can use your own ingenuity on this. Before, the orange was too isolated in certain areas, like the nav and side-bit. Use the orange to strike or standout.

Some things I would consider given your current design. Make the heading areas sit within the box borders, like sitepoint does. It's easy to to with some relative positoning and background images. It might just offset them nicely in the orange also.
    Don't make the indentation on the nav too obvious, stick with the V indent, but just for the selected page. The current 'dip' with the V indent on all links makes it a little busy.

You're doing well here, and it's always difficult to apraise your own subject, but you can do better and you will so go for it and just keep moving things around. Good luck mate.
    Andy

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer the first design with smaller fonts. I personally find it easier to read.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the second design, that's a lovely blue, but it needs more contrast. The orange from the first design was great with that blue. Maybe you could work it in.

I didn't like the paragraph indent on the text in the lower three boxes, especially since you didn't use it in the mixedin box above. It might look nicer too, if you widened those three boxes so their sides lined up with the navigation bar and music-box-containing bar aboue instead of squishing in a bit.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second Design

i prefer the second one only thing is thet the menu bar is very large sand over powers the site i think

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reduce the height of the menu bar in the second one. It look better than the first and theres too many words. Try to distribute text/image evenly
    My Network
    Deluxe Web Directory
    FontCubes Free Fonts

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Text spacing seems a bit erratic and I'd perhaps reduce the amount of differing fonts and sizes to give a cleaner page.

'DESIGN BLOG' could be lifted up a few px to separate it from the edge but not too far.

Just read further down. I prefer the 2nd version. Though I@'d be tempted to darken the colours a bit as it does look a little washed out.

Really like the logo :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, reducing the height of the menu bar (and maybe making it orange like in the first version) will look better, and offer some contrast - Right now, it's too blue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice and clean style but...

4 sure the header area needs to be reduced vertically. maybe make the fonts a touch smaller and introduce the orange you used earlier for other points of interest in the design.

just my thoughts,
    peace

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May want to change "I can't really come ... up for me.
    Negative statement (I can't) make all statements positive. May want to change wording to be a positive statement. Visitors want a professional to be positive and always have the answer - think positive
    hope this helps
    falcon

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my 2 cents ....

Overall, I like the second design better than the first.
    On the first design:
    I like: the orange
    I didn't like: that the vertical line to the right of the body text doesn't line up with the dashed line in the blue box

On the second design:
    I think it would look better with some of the orange from the first design. I also think that the menu could be a little shorter in height (maybe). For some reason the indentation on the first line of text ("Good business starts ..." and "Solid Media Solutions ...") just doesn't look right (to my eyes). Otherwise, I definitely like this second design better.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second one is perfect..I like the second one

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than nit pick what should go where or all the spacing try and come up with a "strategy" more or less for the design.

Sit down and write out what you want the design to communicate visually. That meaning if there wasn't a single word on the page, how would the site come off? Right now personally it would say to me "ice" , the blues remind me of ice.

Then write out what you want to be the most important element on the page. That element should have the most emphasis on it, when you first look at the page it should grab your eye right away.

Then find out the second most important, and make it a little more subtle, and so on/so forth.

Finally Using photoshop guides make blocks so that you know exactly how much spacing should be between each element, and that everything is placed in a similar manor (justification, etc). It may look subtle, but people will be able to notice if one element has a 20px margin and the others all have 30px.