User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwolfe View Post
    Anyone who has no programming experience whatsoever but has a design tool at his fingertips to layout a html page in tables is taking his first baby steps in understanding how layout and html works.

It also teaches the history of how the web has developed from table layout to CSS.

No offense, but programming "Hello World" as a simple php script is no different than using a simple table to align text blocks into a pleasing design. It is the learning process and understanding the concept that is more important.

If the student can not grasp and layout a page in html, then force feeding him to learn CSS is futile. He will either be totally frustrated or completely confused.

Thank you for your comments
    Errr... I disagree.

I actually never learned tables. I was fortunate enough to learn HTML from a chap who was -very early on- into CSS. Now, when I look at table-based code, I scratch my head an wonder how anyone would (or did) put up with the mess.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't look too bad for a first website

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None taken I see your point about baby steps. My point though is that CSS is the baby steps. Doing table layout is a faulty start. It should not even be in consideration. It's like building a car and putting wooden wheels on it just because you have a few lying aroud from your grandfather's horse carriage. It might work, but boy will you look stupid. You might as well spend some time and learn how to make it right.

Here is another thing. if you don't have any understanding of the web, CSS and SEO then there is no point really. It's so hard to rank nowadays then until u learn how to properly create a site, there is no point. You are simply wasting your time. This is no longer the early days where people used to create sites and have "instant winners". Every topic was new; so you didn't need SEO to rank. If you don't have a fundamental understanding and are not willing to learn things properly I can only wish you good luck with your web ventures.

If you really want this poor 14 year old to learn how coding works underneath the hood why don't we start him off with assembly? move ax,bx? How far back into the fundamentals are you advising this kid to go? Tables were never meant to act as a layout tool. They were simply adapted because there was nothing better. Now we have remedied that with CSS. So, before you go suggesting Pepto-Bismol for a headache make sure you are a doctor. I really don't mean to offend you. I hope you don't take it the wrong way. I'm looking forward to your reply as it is starting to turn into an interesting debate . I wish my sites got this much attention.
    Zip code Maps and tools - www.mapszipcode.com