SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

high traffic hosting solution (do I need a dedicated server?)

Hey everybody-

I'm working on launching this online store for a poster designer, and we're becoming more and more aware that we need a really robust and fast server. This site is looking at extremely high levels of activity whenever this designer posts a new poster. We're talking 1700 people surfing the store (downloading med-high resolution poster images) and 300 posters sold in 16 seconds kind of thing.

So, we need a really robust hosting, to work with PHP5 and MYSQL.

My previous go-to hosting provider was Lunarpages, but their customer service has gone down the crapper, and I've just about had it with them. My main questions are:

• Should I be looking into getting a dedicated server, or are there hosting companies that can handle this kind of traffic on a shared server? I don't have experience administrating a server, so if we got a dedicated one we would have to pay the host to do at least some of the setup/administration, I would assume?
    • Dedicated server or not, what's a hosting company that has really good customer service, where we can be assured of getting somebody knowledgeable without having to wait on hold for 20 (or even 10) minutes?

Thanks everybody!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As we are talking serious business, I would suggest to use a dedicated server. If even 10 minutes downtime were critical, you should also take a look at solutions providing redundancy (like CARP/BSD).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks- I'm definitely leaning towards dedicated- does anybody have any suggestions? I don't know much about selecting a good host for dedicated servers...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a server from rackspace at work and it has only gone down once in the last two years. They do seem to be a little dearer than some but it seems to be worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's your budget and other requirements?
    I can advise you to look at the web sites of Gowebsite.com and Hostgator.com. They are nice companies and their prices are not very high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    If you think you will have 1700+ clients browsing at the same time you may want to go for dedicated or managed server. But it this can be the peak at the same time, then you can consider some shared hosting but you will have to speak with the host to make sure they will not suspend your account.

Good Luck!
    A.
    HostColor.com
    Colocation | Dedicated Servers | VPS Hosting
    Web hosting provider since 2000

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really expect that much traffic and activity, a dedicated server (fully managed if no one in your organization is a server admin) seems to be the only valid direction. A cluster of servers might be needed soon enough.

servint, liquidweb, rackspace are some of the companies with a reputation for managed dedicated servers. I've been using Hostgator's shared hosting with great results, and I know that they offer managed dedicated servers as well. I don't know first hand how good that service of theirs is though.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew embassy View Post
    Hey everybody-

I'm working on launching this online store for a poster designer, and we're becoming more and more aware that we need a really robust and fast server. This site is looking at extremely high levels of activity whenever this designer posts a new poster. We're talking 1700 people surfing the store (downloading med-high resolution poster images) and 300 posters sold in 16 seconds kind of thing.

So, we need a really robust hosting, to work with PHP5 and MYSQL.

My previous go-to hosting provider was Lunarpages, but their customer service has gone down the crapper, and I've just about had it with them. My main questions are:

• Should I be looking into getting a dedicated server, or are there hosting companies that can handle this kind of traffic on a shared server? I don't have experience administrating a server, so if we got a dedicated one we would have to pay the host to do at least some of the setup/administration, I would assume?
    • Dedicated server or not, what's a hosting company that has really good customer service, where we can be assured of getting somebody knowledgeable without having to wait on hold for 20 (or even 10) minutes?

Thanks everybody!
    There are a number of companies that offer server management. I have a VPS-Extreme package (obviously a lesser offering) at HostICan, which also offers dedicated solutions. I've had great support from them and uptime and performance is extremely good.

So there's another alternative you might want to consider.
    Peace,
    Gene Steinberg
    www.theparacast.com
    The foregoing comment has been censored by WHT.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew embassy View Post
    Hey everybody-
    [*]Should I be looking into getting a dedicated server, or are there hosting companies that can handle this kind of traffic on a shared server? I don't have experience administrating a server, so if we got a dedicated one we would have to pay the host to do at least some of the setup/administration, I would assume?
    [*]Dedicated server or not, what's a hosting company that has really good customer service, where we can be assured of getting somebody knowledgeable without having to wait on hold for 20 (or even 10) minutes?[/LIST]
    IMO, Fully managed dedicated server will be the best option for you where the hosting company will take care of server monitoring and all the support issues. Go for a hosting company which has live chat, email and phone support to save your time on support issues. Hope you find the best

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody! I'll keep you posted.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go for a dedicated server.....dont try to manage your own server......get it done by someone else...
    Try reliable web hosting service provided by MarbleHost.com.