SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considerations on RoR books(expecially AWDWR)...

I always said that i hate the famous and de-facto book on ruby on rails "Agile web development with rails second edition". Yes, it is written by the famous dave thomas and the man who created RoR but i think that a technical book like that should be written by who knows how to write and most important how to teach to beginners and alike. Sitepoint's books are so. Who write sitepoint's book knows very well how to write and to teach, expecially to beginners of a particular subject. Said that i tell you (believe it or not) that i read ALL the AWDWR book (cover to cover with all its 700 and over pages) and i can say for sure that i didn't learn a lot more than i did for example reading sitepoint's RoR book. Ok i surely learned some advanced concepts but those arguments are easily searchable on internet tutorials and learned from screencasts like peepcode screencasts or rails screencasts (www.railscasts.com). With this i would like to say that we (or at least i) don't need 700 and over pages books on a subject to start with.......we need the basics explained well and then we can learn from all the internet tutorials and screencasts and that is how sitepoint's books are written for me. Today i write ror apps as i did with only the sitepoint's ror book reading. Moreover anyway the agile book is bad written and it explains things very very bad. I think sitepoint's books are the right balance.....they focus on the topic (on the more interesting and useful parts) in a small to medium book and then with those basics you can move on on your own reading a lot more around.
    At the end i would like to say that not always are the book written by the "nerds" on that topic the best on that subject....not always are the very long books useful....etc. What do ya think?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the explanations in agile webdev with rails clear, sometimes a little long maybe. I liked that they expained why things are the way they are by using "David says..." blocks. Maybe your problem is that they assume you know Ruby (they have another book for that).

But then I haven't read Sitepoints book...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir2 View Post
    I found the explanations in agile webdev with rails clear, sometimes a little long maybe. I liked that they expained why things are the way they are by using "David says..." blocks. Maybe your problem is that they assume you know Ruby (they have another book for that).

But then I haven't read Sitepoints book...
    no, the problem is not ruby.....the problem is that after i read that famous 700 and over pages book i build my rails apps the same way as i did when i finished sitepoint's book

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well what did you expect ;-) Is the Agile Rails book really famous? It is not really comparable to books like SICP, so don't expect that it will change the way you program.

You said that you didn't like the explanations, so I was suggesting that that might be because the book assumes that you know Ruby. As far as I know, the Sitepoint book doesn't assume that.

You also said that you don't need this book to learn "advanced" Rails. I didn't use a book to learn Rails at all; I learned the basics of Ruby & Rails from the internets. Maybe you are overestimating the deepness of the ideas behind Ruby/Rails?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you are overestimating the deepness of the ideas behind Ruby/Rails?
    I really don't understand this last thing

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deep/difficult ideas are better explained by books than by blogs, but Ruby & Rails are simple enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deep/difficult ideas are better explained by books than by blogs, but Ruby & Rails are simple enough.
    ok so that is great! I mean my concept is right then, expecially for rails. We need only a basic book well written book and then with the basics under our belt we can move on with screencasts and tutorials on internet.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A searchable/browsable archive of posts would be nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A searchable/browsable archive of posts would be nice.
    i pointed out that in a specific topic more below

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyway i think that this first sitepoint's rails book with a future sitepoint's rails anthology or so beat down the AWDWR 10 - 1