SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mails sent from hostgator marked as spam by gmail

Gmail is marking all mails I sent from my new host (hostgator) as spam.

If I sent the test email from webmail using one of my mail accounts at gator I am able later to indicate to gmail that it's not spam so the next mails from that adress are not filtered... but that's far from ideal.

In the case of the php mail function (and all the scripts and cms's that makes use of it) it doesn't help to tell gmail that it's not spam because as soon as the from/return-path changes, the mail is again filtered as spam.

My server is gator297.hostgator.com 74.53.228.114 Please, let me know if you want additional information.

I have made tests anly with gmail (several tests with two different accounts) and with yahoo mail. Gmail is always marking the mails as spam, yahoo isn't. And all the mail scripts that are being flagged at spam from gator works without problems with my other hosts.

I wanted to post this problem at gator forums but my forum account activation is waiting for moderation...

Any clues?
    Hábitat Web - Soluciones para espacios virtuales

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, have you opened a support ticket?
    I've been using www.HostGator.com
    for 38 months... and it's been awesome.

Get The Maximum HostGator Discount With These HostGator Coupons!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cris

I've been having an email conversation with the support team and I'm currently waitng for a response for my last mail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    probably your server IP was used in spamming or simply as too many emails to gmail. thus resulting in blocking.

if require, get a dedicated IP will solve it. talk with hostgator support

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if require, get a dedicated IP will solve it.
    If he's using shared hosting, a dedicated IP won't help, as it won't be used for the sending of emails.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    If he's using shared hosting, a dedicated IP won't help, as it won't be used for the sending of emails.
    I thought he could use dedicated IP to send email if he uses script, and doesn't send from localhost.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly am using shared hosting and got a dedicated ip but it's not being used for the mails.
    Support staff has kept checking my case but we have had no results yet.
    Do you think they can reconfigure webmail to send from my own ip? I'll ask them to do that.
    Also, if any of you want to check the header of a sample mail or anything else, just tell me.
    This problem is really worring me because this issue is stopping me to complete the transition of my websites from my old host (hostingzoom) to my new one (hostgator). Almost everything seems to be much better in this new host, but as far as I can't get this problem solved, I can't complete my transfer.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Webmail/SMTP Mail, makes no difference, the mail is ultimately sent by the same process.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My absolutely great impression in my first days with hostgator is being really diminished.
    I've spent 3 days both working/researching myself and asking for support with this mail issue and I get no results.
    And I still have no permission to use the client's forums (arggg) ... (and yes, I also submited a ticket reporting the forums problem, with no response yet...)
    So, any further help/advice/suggestions you can give me will be very appreciated.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AFAIK they're looking for a new person to take care of their forums. While this is under way, forum related issues might take a while.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks ldcdc for informing me about the forums status. I don't get why they couldn't told the same to me. The ticket I sent 7 hours ago keeps unanswered and the person at the chat told me that that was strange, and that it couldn't last much more...

Back to the topic:

Well, all the mails I send from my new account at hostgator, from any of my domains I have hosted there, keep being filtered as spam by gmail (I have tried receiving with 3 different gmail accounts without variations) and I have a strong feeling that the hostgator team is not willing to help me any more.

In their last response they just gave me a link to the gmail bulk mail policies (I've never intended to send bulk mailing). In thir previous mail they stated that "our support only covers the emails being delivered -- which they are -- not how they are handled remotely. " ...And also, I gave to them two email accounts in order that they could make all the needed testing and they answered that they see no reason to use that mail accounts since they already sent test messages as root and were correctly received by their gmail.

What should I do?
    How can I stay with an otherwise good hosting but without being able to send mails (and get them in the inboxes of their readers) and also without being able to receive in their inboxes the messages from their own contact forms?
    Should I just have more patience? (I already had to pay an extra mounth of my old hosting while I'm seing if this has a solution).
    Should I just run away?
    Do you have other ideas?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry to hear this.... i would say that you persist with them for some more time....if the issue doesnt get resolved, switch to a new one or go back to your old one.... the mail issue doesnt look good to the customers....
    Try reliable web hosting service provided by MarbleHost.com.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ready to cancel my hostgator account.

I think I'm ready to cancel my hostgator account.
    What I've seen about hostgator service is that its a great service (support, reliability and performance) until a real issue appears with your account or with your websites. If you need them to help you in solving a specific problem like mine, they don't help anymore.
    Also, as far as I've researched, if it seems to them that your site makes their servers to crash, your account just gets suspended, that's their "mehotd" to make their service so "reliable".
    The email policies are similar. If any of your mail accounts starts sending a lot of mails (because of a worm, for example) you don't just get your ip blocked as other hostings do, but you get your whole account suspended.
    I finally get enabled in their forums, but I think I'm dissapointed enought to not to try anymore.
    Of course, I only have prove of my own experience, not of what I've read.
    So, back to my own experience, here you have my "goodbye" support mail, 3 days after my last question:
    "Our support does not cover where the emails are delivered -- the inbox versus bulk/spam box -- it only covers the emails being delivered to the server. Since the emails are getting to the server, that's where our support ends."