SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is it Flash time?

Hi, Flash banners sure look cooler than GIF ones. Is Flash widespread enough now so that it is feasible to use Flash banners instead of GIF banners for advertisements? Has there been a study done on this recently, or really any information at all? Thanks!
    But what care I for praise? - Bob Dylan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grant...I'm adding this other post into this one. THis is almost the same question. Try to keep this stuf together as it makes it easier for the other memebers to follow.

Can any site that supports an animated GIF banner support a Flash banner, or would the webmaster have to make special arrangements in the site? If special arrangements are necessary, how difficult are they to implement? Thanks!
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhhhhhhh, guys I'd really appreciate an answer to these questions. I'd like to hire someone to build a Flash banner for my site, but I need to know this stuff first. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wouldn't it depend on the site that you want to advertise on? what i mean is, would that particular audience be likely to have the plugin? i know the plugin usage is very high, but according to my stats at some of my websites, i still get traffic that doesn't have the plugin.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill-

Any idea on a percentage? Thanks for the response by the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you mean on overall plugin usage or my stats?

if overall, MM says upwards of 90-95% penetration on the plugin. i think they take overall download numbers, but these (IMO) can be skewed as i myself have downloaded it a dozen times probably and on the same computer. it also doesn't seem to take in account old browsers with old plugins. i may be wrong though.

on my site, it is probably less then 5% don't have it. but not quite sure on numbers, just something i noticed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if they are using a clever detection script, but even some of the 'big boys' are using flash banners these days, like MSN. If the advertisers are prepared to take the risk of not reaching a small percentage of viewers, it says a-lot for the growing viability of using Flash for banners.

As quoted, the vast majority of people have the Flash plug-in. The one thing I would say is that it is probably wise to 'dumb-down' the movie to, say version 3 (you can choose what version to export the Flash movie out as), just to ensure that it's gonna reach the maximum number of viewers. As it's only a banner ad, you won't need clever functions, just animation and a link.
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Flash kills the GIF star

First off, take a look at the very interesting and fresh Macromedia Flash Ad Stats: http://www.emerginginterest.com/mfaa...2002data.shtml

I'm keeping an eye on the subject for a while and personally i'm sure that GIF stuff will disappear very soon as online ad medium. Did you notice that all those big guys who can afford cnet.com, internet.com or wired.com ad rates are all using Flash based banners already? There's a lot of ad servers (some even free) supporting flash files too; so if you are the website owner, you can start serve flash banners right now (naturally, advertisers are ready to pay more for placing flash ads). This is just the question of time: since Flash is better than GIF, Flash will rule the web advertisement.

If you are looking for more stats and reasons to switch to flash, I'd like to invite you to visit my website (link below), dedicated to the subj. I just can't post my whole frontpage here

Good luck!