SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Epilot and findwhat

Has anyone tried the pay-per-click search engines, epilot or findwhat? If so where they worth it, did you get good traffic from the keyword bids?? Please detail your experiences. Thanks...

Yohance,
    yohance1@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few months back I was testing the waters of PPCs to see what kind of results we'd get. To this day we're still not active in FindWhat - they kept rejecting our account information. I thought they were stupid, but it turns out I had entered the wrong card info after all - they were prompt with their rejections but now that the info is in order our bids still haven't been processed. Don't know if this is typical or we've just been unlucky in our dealings with them.

About 3 months ago I placed an 'order' worth $25 at ePilot and so far we've only spent a few bucks of it. Not a great result. Ah-ha offered an even worse return-on-investment.

It would depend on your keywords though I guess, and what kind of market the PPC reaches. Overture is the only PPC to give us a good turn-around (mostly thanks to appearances in Yahoo et al.)

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried almost every PPC out there and they all pale in copmparison to Overture. 99% of them are awful and the traffic stinks for the amount of work you put in.

....anyways...FindWhat seems to be a respectable company, IMO. They deliver about 10 clicks per day (costs me $.10 ) I could probably eek out a few more clicks if I would add in some more keywords. (hm. i just might do that)

ePilot has been a dud and I had a horrible experience with ah-ha as well. Currently, I have about 100 words on ePilot. I still have the original 25 dollars that I put in to the account!

Though, I did read this:

Please remember that your bid must be at least $0.07 to be distributed on ePilot's Search Distribution Network.
    All of my bids are at $0.01. They feed results to meta search engines like Mamma and DogPile, and a few smaller ones. It may be worth a shot to try that avenue out, but $0.07 seems like a lot just to be placed in those other "engines" when all the competition is paying $0.01 per click on epilot itself.

Bay9 delivers about the same traffic as FindWhat. You might want to check them out as well.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

feedback

Thanks for the feedback.. any additional comments would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am utterly disappointed with findwhat. To this day, they have not let me deposit funds into my account using a credit card.

It was nearly a year ago that I first tried to get my credit card verified with them. They said that they would manually verify it with my bank and then let me deposit funds. Over the next few weeks, I contacted them many times by email and every time, the service officer replied to me saying that he had to verify my credit card details with my bank and that he'd reply within a few days.

I have always been able to make deposits using my credit card via the internet. It is only findwhat that has refused to let me do so. It is absurd that they will not let me give them money, and show little interest in approving me.

I have contacted them asking if they accepted other methods of payment, and they have never replied to me.

Approximately every month, I still get a reminder from them that I have not yet deposited funds into my account and that if I'm having trouble doing so, I should contact them. Each time, I contact their support and remind them that they have not verified my credit card details with my bank and that I am therefore unable to give them money. Each time, they respond to me within a week saying that they need to verify my credit card details with my bank, and I don't ever hear from them again.

I am disgusted with their service and must strongly dissuade anyone from opening an account with them.
    Last edited by mmj; Feb 20, 2002 at 06:01.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MMJ, your experience sounds rather like what we are going through - I did find an error with the credit account information recently (I had been looking at the 'regular' account information which is why I didn't spot the problem in the 'credit card listing'), but even since making sure everything is in order I still haven't gotten my funds approved and it's been weeks. I've never had any trouble paying for anything on the Internet so I really don't get FindWhat's problem - and all they do is send you standard form letters that don't give you any details about the hold-up. I'm curious about what kind of result we'd get with them, but at this point I'm inclined not to fight to give them our money anymore...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had any problems with FindWhat. I suspect that because you are from another country, they are having problems with your credit card. I don't know why they can't seem to get around it, but I bet it has something to do with their credit card processor.

I would tell you to talk to someone higher up than just the support guys. Talk to a VP or the President if you can. Explain your problem. I can guarantee that it will be fixed shortly thereafter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point Moospot, maybe FindWhat doesn't like us Commonwealth folk!

I plan on trying again shortly (the last time I submitted the info I heard absolutely nothing back) and then that's it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PPC search engines generally are generally small engines(with the exception of overture). Overture you can sneak into via a free listing at intokmi. Actually I think I'm in overture directly and I didn't pay. When I search for my site, there is no "powered by intokmi" sign on the page. I submitted almost 2 years ago though and they probably don't give free listings anymore. I got into their database when they were still goto.

In my opinion (with the exception of overture), getting a free listing in dmoz is the best way and getting paid listing in Yahoo is much better than a PPC engine. In fact, you can get into looksmart via zeal for free if your site offers any valueable free content, otherwise pay the $150, it is well spent. Overture is the only PPC I think that is worth it. You might also want to try 7search or sprinks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah-ha!

This isn't directly related to either Epilot or FindWhat but I was just checking some search terms at AltaVista and they are now displaying Ah-ha listings (complete with logo) down the side of their search results (or at least some of them). Is this something new, or was I just missing it before? It it's new then maybe our Ah-ha listings will finally start to pay off! We haven't exactly given them a ringing endorsement here but maybe they're beginning to move at least a little forward...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Ah-ha!

Originally posted by dpickup
    This isn't directly related to either Epilot or FindWhat but I was just checking some search terms at AltaVista and they are now displaying Ah-ha listings (complete with logo) down the side of their search results (or at least some of them). Is this something new, or was I just missing it before? It it's new then maybe our Ah-ha listings will finally start to pay off! We haven't exactly given them a ringing endorsement here but maybe they're beginning to move at least a little forward...
    What terms did you search on? I can't seem to find any listings from ah-ha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a search for 'community software' -
    http://www.altavista.com/sites/searc...are&pg=q&kl=XX

The Ah-ha provided results are in the table down the side.

It works for the search term 'dogs' too -
    http://www.altavista.com/sites/search/web?q=dogs&kl=XX

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah-ha Logolinks

With ah-ha.com your logo appears with your listings on AltaVista, EarthLink, LookSmart, and Galaxy if your term is in the top 3 (only the top listing appears on LookSmart). We created this to increase exposure to our clients, and to help brand the site as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You failed to mention this:

There is a monthly charge of $9.95-$19.95 to have your company logo next to your listing. For accounts without the LogoLink there is no monthly fee.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised to hear that there's been so much problems with FindWhat. My experience with their customer service has been very pleasant so far, although I can't say the same about the PPC performance.

I'm based in Singapore and the customer service rep actually called me within 5 minutes of receiving my email to verify my credit card information. What happened was they wrote to me to ask me to give them a number to call me to verify the information and I wrote back to tell them that I'm in Singapore and they can call me at my Singapore number. I don't know if the fact that I have a U.S.-issued credit card helped.

Over a 2-week period, FindWhat has delivered *two* clicks to my website. I have 8 keywords and my bids were all $0.01. I wrote to them to express my disappointment and asked if I can get a refund on my remaining dollars (there is a non-refundable deposit of $25). My FindWhat representative asked me to call him and offered to walk me through the process of "optimizing" my keywords. So I thought they are really professional and responsive.

If you would like the name and email address of the FindWhat representative I am dealing with, please send me an email. I just didn't think it was appropriate to give his name and email over this thread.

Lastly I think you should definitely explore Google's AdWords Program. It is hassle-free and highly effective. I noticed that not many people have signed up for it (maybe because it's new) and that's a good thing for me. For just $0.05, my keywords always appear on the right hand side of the search results and since there are only 3 or 4 listings, there's no need to scroll down the page. But although the hits have increased significantly for me, the sales have not. But it may be too early to tell since I've only been on the program for a week.

I don't know if other people have the same experience. But somehow, people who use Yahoo! seem to have a higher purchasing power (or at least intent to buy). Most of my customers found me through Yahoo!
    Logan Wong
    Wallet Haven http://www.wallethaven.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used both Bay9/Xuppa and Sprinks. I spent $200 on bay9 and got visitors but no sales at all, so I wouldn't use bay9 because I think that's a waste of money.

I liked sprinks, because after spending only $100 I got sales worth over $1000 and I think that's good.