SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I want to get a truck...

So I want a used truck, I'm not sure what they're called. But like the Hummer H2 CUT(i think its called), Escalade, Avalanche. Where it has a cabin the size of an SUV, and a bed a lot smaller than most pickups. So I was wondering if anyone knows of any others besides those 3 that are like that, preferable a little older because I'm looking to spend somewhere around 12k, but those 3 used, are all somewhere around 20...

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can afford a Hummer??

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    You can afford a Hummer??

Uh, hell no...I wish. Like I said, I'm looking for something around 12k and want to know if there are any older kind of trucks like these around that price. Instead of the 20k used that all of those are. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, I'm talking about these kinds below. See how they all have really small beds, and really big cabins...

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, let kill the environment a little more!

You people and your gas eating PIGS really tick me off!

How about you buy something that doesn't suck gas at the rate of 9 mpg!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    That's not true. Mine get's atleast 12 mpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, let kill the environment a little more!

You people and your gas eating PIGS really tick me off!

Not trying to be a dick or anything, I mean I'm all for not having the earth blow up during my kids lives. But with the amount of cars on the planet right now, the amount of people who can afford hybrid cars, and the cost to make older cars hybrid cars. Nothing can be done RIGHT NOW to stop ozone depletion by changing cars. Nothing can significantly happen for another 30 years minimum. Because it needs to get to a point where some of the only running cars, are the cars NOW that are hybrid. And besides the point, I need a truck. Not some rinky dink cereal box prius toy. If you don't feel the need to positively contribute to the thread, and you really need to yell at 90% of car owners who own cars with poor fuel efficiency. Go make a thread about it for nobody else to post in, and calm down.

Woo-Saahhhhh

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _:FAL:_ View Post
    Not trying to be a dick or anything, I mean I'm all for not having the earth blow up during my kids lives. But with the amount of cars on the planet right now, the amount of people who can afford hybrid cars, and the cost to make older cars hybrid cars. Nothing can be done RIGHT NOW to stop ozone depletion by changing cars. Nothing can significantly happen for another 30 years minimum. Because it needs to get to a point where some of the only running cars, are the cars NOW that are hybrid. And besides the point, I need a truck. Not some rinky dink cereal box prius toy. If you don't feel the need to positively contribute to the thread, and you really need to yell at 90% of car owners who own cars with poor fuel efficiency. Go make a thread about it for nobody else to post in, and calm down.

Woo-Saahhhhh
    So because YOU feel there is nothing that can be done you just give up and suck the life out of the planet! Boy that's some cop out!

Grow up and wake up! Each little thing each person does adds up to the 'big picture' Wake up and see the BIG picture ....... it includes YOU!

Stop listening to the propaganda your government feeds you and take responsibility for YOUR part of this planet! Each great evolution starts with the simple task of ONE PERSON!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So because YOU feel there is nothing that can be done you just give up and suck the life out of the planet! Boy that's some cop out!

Grow up and wake up! Each little thing each person does adds up to the 'big picture' Wake up and see the BIG picture ....... it includes YOU!

Stop listening to the propaganda your government feeds you and take responsibility for YOUR part of this planet! Each great evolution starts with the simple task of ONE PERSON!
    If you could've comprehended the post. I want the planet to live as long as possible. Right now I DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY FOR A HYBRID TRUCK so I won't get one, and I need a truck, NOT A CAR!

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    940 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Theoretically I'm with you on this DC...

(But if you need a truck for work or something, then you need a truck.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    Theoretically I'm with you on this DC...

(But if you need a truck for work or something, then you need a truck.)
    Exactly, but the oldest hybrid trucks are 1 year old, and they're just too expensive right now.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    940 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Ah, right. Stink.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Anyone who "needs a truck" DOES NOT need an Escalade or Hummer.

My wife "needed a truck" when she had a horse. She got an F-150.

My friend's dad "needed a truck" for landscaping work. He got an S-10.

But if you do want something more like what you're looking for, try the Ford Explorer Sport Trac. They've been around for a while so you should be able to find a decently used one cheap.

PS hummers are a bad idea

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get a hybrid car and a trailer (that's what we call those things you stick to the back or a car to transport stuff- not a motorhome)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Anyone who "needs a truck" DOES NOT need an Escalade or Hummer.

My wife "needed a truck" when she had a horse. She got an F-150.

My friend's dad "needed a truck" for landscaping work. He got an S-10.
    I think you hit the nail on the head there, vgarcia.

Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic
    Get a hybrid car and a trailer
    I don't think hybrid cars have that much power.

Aside: Personally I've always liked the Nissan Frontier and the Toyota Hilux.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Escalades and Hummers are not supposed to be conservitive vehicles. This is their nature. It's like yelling at a ball for being round...

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hybrid cars are no good for "being green" the electricity to power them is generated by coal powered power stations generally and then stepped down incredibly ineffeciently to the end user. Plus the chemicals used for the batteries are really nasty - those batteries are very hard to dispose of.

Best go for an old diesel vehicle and run it on Veg oil. We've got an elderly land rover which has three fuel tanks - two for veg oil (either new from the supermarket or recyled from a friendly chip shop) and one for diesel for colder days and for when the car first starts up. It runs very smoothly on veg oil plus we no longer have to pay any duty on it. Only changes we made to the diesel engine was to add a small heater unit to the system to ensure that the oil isn't too thick.

Not all diesels can work like this - it does depend on the pumps they use - but it's a good, green, cheap and easy solution.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is veg oil from the supermarket cheaper per mile than diesel?

Anyway, Tailslide has a point. Buying a new hybrid vehicle is not as good as buying an old truck that gets fewer MPG. The energy taken to produce it (including the energy for the production of the raw materials, not to mention the damage to the environment in extracting them) should also be taken into account. At the end of the day, the used truck is probably a far greener option than buying a new Toyota Prius.

That said, as vinnie said, if you're going to get a truck, get a proper truck, not the bling version of a truck (hummer, escalade).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailslide View Post
    Hybrid cars are no good for "being green" the electricity to power them is generated by coal powered power stations
    The hybrid cars that are popular right now in the U.S. charge off a combination of energy recovered from braking and a traditional alternator sort of mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    Buying a new hybrid vehicle is not as good as buying an old truck that gets fewer MPG.
    I expect you will have great difficulty finding an old truck that gets the mileage of a Prius.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    Is veg oil from the supermarket cheaper per mile than diesel?
    Oh yeah - it's about half the price because as of a few days ago the duty was removed from this sort of fuel. That's just buying the 15 litre cans from Tescos - you can probably buy larger, cheaper from Costco or somewhere.

Before, when you had to pay fuel duty on the veg oil then it was about the same as diesel (but greener if you care about that sort of thing).

But obviously getting from a chippie is, if you're friendly enough with them - free (although you need to filter it - not difficult really).

The vehicle is also 1972 - so no road tax!

(also useful vehicles given our current flooding situation!)

BTW - This isn't something to be done lightly - you can destroy your engine if you try running it on oil if you aren't sure of the specifics of the uplift pump and the injectors.

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsm View Post
    The hybrid cars that are popular right now in the U.S. charge off a combination of energy recovered from braking and a traditional alternator sort of mechanism.
    This is something that should be introduced to trains as well. People think that just because trains run off electricity (they seem to be favoured over diesel trains in Europe now) they're suddenly clean. Most of the power stations still burn coal, so it's just transferring the pollution elsewhere. Especially trains like on the Underground that brake all the time should get this. Currently only the new ones for the Victoria Line (replacing trains from the 50s and 60s) will have that technology.

I expect you will have great difficulty finding an old truck that gets the mileage of a Prius.
    True, but the old truck will come with the benefit of not having been made from scratch, plus the disadvantages Tailslide mentioned. Also, the current hybrid vehicles are likely to become obsolete relatively quickly, as the technology of cleaner vehicles is still young but advancing fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailslide
    Oh yeah - it's about half the price because as of a few days ago the duty was removed from this sort of fuel. That's just buying the 15 litre cans from Tescos - you can probably buy larger, cheaper from Costco or somewhere.
    I had no idea Tesco sold vegetable oil specifically for cars. I thought you meant buying the stuff off the shelf, the stuff one can cook with.

So you're driving tax free. Amazing, who would have thought that was possible in the UK!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no expert on the subject - but my other half is pretty up to date with this sort of thing. He says that the Prius' mileage figures are actually not quite as straight forward as they seem. He strongly suspects that the figures (somewhere in the 40s per gallon) are when the engine is being assisted by the electric engine. (not a vast improvement on my other car - a 15 year old diesel Range Rover!)

Also as Raffles said, these cars are likely to have a life of only around 10 years and then the batteries will be impossible to get rid of.

Obviously the search for alternative fuel sources is a good thing - but I do think that society (possibly mainly the media) tend to fall upon the first option as THE solution that should never be questioned. I feel that the current crop of available electric vehicles come into this category - they're a start, that's all. Not even a massive improvement on what we had before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He says that the Prius' mileage figures are actually not quite as straight forward as they seem. He strongly suspects that the figures (somewhere in the 40s per gallon) are when the engine is being assisted by the electric engine.
    That's the whole point, electricity kicks in sometimes to assist, reducing gasoline consumption. When you apply the brakes, energy is absorbed and the battery charges.

Also as Raffles said, these cars are likely to have a life of only around 10 years and then the batteries will be impossible to get rid of.
    The manufacturer recycles them. If I am not mistaken, Toyota has a $200 bounty on their dead batteries.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My point was that 40mpg isn't much of an improvement over "normal" diesel or petrol cars - where's the advantage over a car that will last 20-30 years and does roughly the same mileage but with a standard diesel engine?

If you're using similar quantities of fuel then I don't see the point of hauling around all those toxic batteries - and even if they recycle the battery body there's still all those nasty chemicals which they won't be able to do anything with.

When they come up with clean, lighterweight batteries then that would be worth really making a big fuss over. Till then I'm sticking to my 30 year old veggie-mobile and my 15 year old diesel - both of which run nicely and out-perform most new cars of their class on fuel consumption.