SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some suggestions for keeping visitors?

Hi gang,
    I wanted to see if I could get any suggestions on what it takes to keep the visitors that come to your site? Especially when the site is just starting out and it's really only one person behind it to do different articles and what not. I am hoping the forums help build the site and as time goes on select those members that go above and beyond to be part of the staff to help with reviews and articles. The only other problem with all of this is I definately can't keep up with the other big sites in the same field since I don't have the resources or the sponsorships to get the latest products for review. Not only that I don't want to be a competitor to other sites in the same field. If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them, I am new to this as you can tell so any help would be really appreciated. If you wanna stop by the site to see if you can come up with any suggestions you can find the site here. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A newsletter is probably the most obvious. You can just highlight recent additions to your site rather than write new content for it. Check out Sitepoint's newletters for good examples.
    the bottoms of my shoes are clean from walking in the rain

<C²: web standards /> cybercodeur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A simple principle of Web usability

Make your visitors feel smart.

Offer them clear intuitive navigation, pleasant visuals and rich content. Make it so easy and interesting to browse through your styuff that they do feel smarter when they're on your site than when they're on others. Slowly, they will come back to yours because you offer valuable information in a graphically pleasant environment in an easy to find format.
    Denis Boudreau <C²/> - Web Standards & Accessibility
    [+] ICQ number: 115649885 || Email: denis@cybercodeur.net
    [+] Daily Weblog on Web standards and accessibility : CYBERcodeur.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same as above really, good content , lots of it so it gets listed in search engines. A mail-list, newsgroups, newsletters, competitions , maybe ?? even a chat room , if you have a lot of members through MIRC.

Your in an area which is covered already , well like most things on the net now, but if your good at it people will come back and your laughing, good luck!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I have a news letter system set up but it is only setup to go to those people that are already members in the forums. I am working on a chat room this week, we are going to be switching to a new article system which should provide a very easy way to add new articles whether it be by admins or a regular member. I am hoping I have the easy navigation part covered. I know I definately need to work on content, which is really hard to do considering if I want to do reviews I need to personally buy the stuff until any sponsorships would happen. I'm not into it to make money, I just want it to cover the exspenses to kepp the site going which I guess isn't really much since it's on a server here at my house. I guess just getting started doesn't help either.