SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you mind coding with hacks and turnarounds for NS4?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it makes me feel smart

7 8.64%
  • No it makes me waste a lot of my time

74 91.36%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to draw the line between making a page readable and making it perfect.

Generally, HTML code I write looks OK on Netscape. It doesn't look quite as good as it does on IE - perhaps a table border is a bit out of place, or size and alignment is wrong. But it's readable. That's all that concerns me.

If the page was unreadable on Netscape I'd be slightly more concerned.

As far as I'm concerned, my time as a web developer is too valuable to spend one hour coding a site, then another hour making it perfect in Netscape, when it was already readable and just had minor annoyances. I think this is the way most people feel on the issue.

If your particular market has a higher percentage of Non-IE users than usual, then yes it may be worth spending more time on it. That's a decision each webmaster has to make, if their site has more non-IE visitors than others.

The last real statistic I heard regarding this was 96.5% IE, with 3.5% Netscape and others. For 3.5% of visitors, many of whom are running an older browser so probably won't be interested in purchasing my new software, it just isn't worth my time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This news release from Websidestory confirms your numbers:
    http://www.websidestory.com/cgi-bin/...ws&press_1_193

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by James
    You have to draw the line between making a page readable and making it perfect.

snip...

The last real statistic I heard regarding this was 96.5% IE, with 3.5% Netscape and others. For 3.5% of visitors, many of whom are running an older browser so probably won't be interested in purchasing my new software, it just isn't worth my time.
    Hm i knew IE usage was high but Woah.

A place i recently worked for sent clients a cd based version of ther website detailing their products and services. There was nothing fancy on it, but we always included a full IE 5.5 installer for the client too, so they could view the cd without problems. - not quite the same i know, but our experience of these folks was they tended to run default installs of IE etc, or totally misconfigure them, so a cd solved any faults

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also should have said, if the site is for personal use, eg a fan site of some sort, with no comercial value then i definetly wouldnt bother, ordinary folk can just upgrade their pc(windowsupdate does int automatically for goodness sakes .

If it was for a large comercial site then thats different - surfers are potential income, but id would be very much inclined to make it known to them on the site that they could have a better surfing experience by upgrading.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by corrs_fan

Hm i knew IE usage was high but Woah.

A place i recently worked for sent clients a cd based version of ther website detailing their products and services. There was nothing fancy on it, but we always included a full IE 5.5 installer for the client too, so they could view the cd without problems. - not quite the same i know, but our experience of these folks was they tended to run default installs of IE etc, or totally misconfigure them, so a cd solved any faults
    Then you were having them install (as I discovered during my recent foray into tableless design), a nastilly non-standards compliant browser....
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before starting work on HilariousMinds.com I decided it was gonna be 100% XHTML and have now decided to have a go at making it CSS driven : http://www.webmasterbase.com/article/379 for those who haven't seen that article

I try and make any code I do work in as many browsers as possible, but I hate doing it

I reckon if all the browsers went 100% comliant over any of there own code and ideas the internet would be a better place

I am using IE6 at the moment because pretty much anything will display in it, I used Netscape, Opera and several others for a while but dropped them in the end, because of a combination of factors, the main being everything looks rubbish in them, becuase they arn't fully w3c compliant and alot of web desingers design for IE and don't think about other browsers

Rick
    Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do code to xhtml-transitional at this point in time. Most of the time the NS 4.x problems are minimal and I don't worry too much about it. I have suggested to convince my employer that it would be a good idea to stop supporting NS 4 but they don't even know what the w3c is so I've had a hard time with that. Same with my two clients who are still using Netscape! I haven't entirely moved over to table-less layouts yet, for that reason, although I have done some more minor things like basic three-column layouts with CSS.

p.s. After 6+ months as an Opera user, I have never encountered a site that looks like "rubbish" in Opera. The only problems I have had are with dHTML scripts that identify by browser name and only include IE & NS in their calls. This is why Opera lets you identify as IE or NS or whatever. I agree, though, that it shouldn't set itself to IE by default. What really makes me mad is when sites try to tell my that I need to download a standards complaint browser, then offer me a choice between IE & netscape! pfft
    Last edited by Megs; Oct 21, 2002 at 11:35.
    Megan Jack
    Proud to be Canadian
    http://www.meganjack.com
    Moderator at The Webmaster Forums and EDevCafe Forums