SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Review: Individualitee.com - Tshirt Site

http://www.individualitee.com - a tshirt site - this has been online for just over a year now. The first year consisted of getting the site online, getting designs on there and trying to get some sales. This second year we want to step it up as the sales aren't great and I want to figure out why.

I'd like feedback on the site and on the designs if possible. What can we do to improve things? Do we need more designs? Different designs? Is the site easy to navigate and find things? Are we not doing anything that your favourite tshirt site is doing?

I know tshirts are not the most original business idea out there but I'd like to get some of the basics right before concentrating more on getting more traffic and marketing.

Thanks for any feedback.
    USBtastic - UK Gadgets Blog
    SmartGeezer - UK Men's Clothing Blog
    Individualitee - Great Tshirts
    Shiola - Complete Waste of Time

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the first page really necessary. Can you not set a default based on visitors IP address while allowing them to change location on any page if necessary. Of course, then you would have to put in place another method to ensure that the search engines continue to find each localised version. Even if you keep the current first page. If I click the link again it asks me for my locale again. Really... I don't mind you dropping a cookie to remember that information rather than asking me every time.

On the localisation front, it seems that only the navigation is localised. The content remains English (sort of). How are your non-English sales as a percentage of visitors compared to English sales?

I noticed a large blank space at the bottom of an individual product page and assumed you were using a fixed height. So I tried increasing the font size on the localised home page. One increase gave me an internal horizontal scrollbar. Another increase gave me an internal vertical scrollbar. Now, that is a pain to navigate. Not everybody will be browsing with the same settings as you. Have you considered not having a fixed height and in the product lists floating each box to the left to allow them to wrap lines as necessary?

The individual item pages seem nicely laid out. Although again they do not scale well, with the horizontal scroll bar being even further below the content and not likely to be noticed.

From an SEO point of view, you do not really have much text for the search engines to get their teeth into. If you have any idea of who might be buying what shirt and why then you may be able to craft some text for particular shirts that will catch searches from its audience.

The pages on your top navigation link back to the usa store not the regional versions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My nationality is not on the site. Does that mean that I am not welcome?

The site passed validation, very good. The colours are very gentle, and the text is not the tiny illegible lettering that we usually suffer.

I especially like the 'gender' shirts. However, they are displayed in a narrow iFrame in the middle of the page. So half of my 1680x1050 monitor is blank, yet I must deal with the horizontal scrollbar. Please, remove the content from that frame!
    . Have a question?
    . . What Is Firefox?
    . . . . What Is Open Office?
    . . . . . . What Is What?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the concept and design both.showing nationalitythrough t-shirt is a good idea and goes with the concept.but the colour is too hot i think

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like it!

It did load sloooooooowwww for me though. Not sure why that was. Have you hooked up something like google analytics to try and figure out whey you are not getting sales. Are you not getting traffic, are people leaving at a certain point of the sale, why are the sales not happening? The site looks fine, the products look fine. Either you arent getting the traffic you need or people are leaving for some reason. That would be what I look into. Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Landing page has got to go

The initial landing page is not needed. Is it? An extra click to get to the real website.

I noticed that the landing page is English. The localized pages are English too. Why not take them directly to the english store page and provide little flags to skin accordingly? Maybe you can use the ip of the user's connection to determine a starting locale and still provide them with little flags to switch?

Once in the store(s), it was well designed and visually appealing. Why not take them there first?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree on previous comments on first page, you don't need it. And where is rest of the world, beside offered countries ? Language selection drop down box doesn't fit in Firefox.

Otherwise I think its good

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there is too much whitespace, especially above the area the t-shirts print out in.

I can see how you made that area line up with the left menu items, but you should consider using up that space.

Also dunno if it was just me, but it took a good 10 seconds to start loading the t-shirts, basically nothing was coming up at all in the content area, is there a way to put a loading bar, or an ajax loader gif there whilst its loading so you know it is doing somehting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like it! very clean.

logo is nice. nice color blends and effects.

1 thing tho... the links on top. i know you can do much better on that one. its looks so boring. it doesnt blend on the logo. try to spice that up a bit.

thants all.
    put your heart into you work
    it will give you the best results

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I very much like the colors, and the graphics used. I just want to echo what was stated above about not needing the splash page, as it may drive visitors away. My suggestions are, as stated above, to ditch the frames, and look into finding someone with a good knowledge of SEO.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea and witty shirts!

I don't like pale colors when it comes to sales. Light blues generate a calm energy that doesn't lead to sales if you ask.

I like the layout and appreciate the clean look but I don't like News and Updates section (do you really need that?) and the look of the banner on top. There's a lot of white space and it makes the site feel less connected.

It wasn't entirely clear to me I was entering a tee-shirt site, even after I landed. Maybe I'm just slow

People need a reason to buy your shirts - I don't think its the type of product that sells itself. I would either include testimonials that let potential customers know these shirts are sure to make people laugh and become the center of attention or I would showcase attractive models wearing your stuff. I think it definitely helps to see other people wearing/using anything that you're about to buy.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good logo and nice colors

Good logo and nice colors and graphics used. Displaying nationality through t-shirt is a great idea and goes with the concept. But I feel there is too much whitespace, especially above the area the t-shirts print out in.
    Affordable Web Hosting - Only $3.95/mo.
    10,000 MB WebSpace, 100 GB Premium Bandwidth, Host 10 Domains
    Free Blog, POP3, PHP, SiteBuilder, Ecommerce, WebStats, FP Ext.
    Budget Reseller Hosting - Start Your Hosting Company - $25/mo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice design but, your code is dirty... u need use list for menu...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Thanks for everyone's feedback.
    USBtastic - UK Gadgets Blog
    SmartGeezer - UK Men's Clothing Blog
    Individualitee - Great Tshirts
    Shiola - Complete Waste of Time