User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hardware resources and social network.

Hi guys,

I have an idea for a social network that could attract something like 100.000 niche users and maybe more. What kind of hardware requirements would that take to accomodate properly? I wouldn't want to cause a diminishing of the userexperience with slow loadtimes etc.

Bye,
    Last edited by d'biann; Jul 18, 2007 at 13:32. Reason: Grammatics
    "There can be only one masterfarter"

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

If you search the forums,you'll find similar questions asked many times, the answer is always the same - In 99.999% of cases, users over estimate the potential popularity of their websites (Even multi-national household names do it, trust me).

The best place to start, is to start small, for a setup to handle 100,000 users (although it depends how many are online at once and what exactly they are doing) you are probably not going to be able to afford it from the off. Find yourself a good managed VPS and start with that, that'll give you the flexability in what software you use, to optimise your application and its delivery. You should also be looking for a host than can grow with you i.e. Provide a managed server (or un-managed if you have the skills in-house) and then on towards more complicated setups.

Thanks,
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is better to get Dual or eve Quad Core server. You will also need huge hard drives connected with RAID 5... you need at least mid-level machine.
    HostColor.com
    Colocation | Dedicated Servers | VPS Hosting
    Web hosting provider since 2000

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but without knowing how their application works, what software it uses etc. you can't make that kind of recommendation. There are far too many variables.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first of all, 100,000 is big number
    its good if start with a proper hosting provider with wide range of dedicated server and allow multiple dedicated server to be merged in future needs.

hostgator dedicated server is offering conreo processor this moment. The highest range i seen. And the most basic is pentium. THey going to start celeron processor soon, check with support... price around $70+

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Karl here.....dont overestimate the popularity of your site this early......start small with a host, who lets you easily switch accounts.... that way you will be safe.....dont spend a lot of money upfront....
    Try reliable web hosting service provided by MarbleHost.com.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx for the replies.

I know 100.000 is a big number, but let's just face it. Narcissism is big on the net and this particular niche have it bad - real bad, and the existing offerings out there for this particular group are bad as well, so there's definately a vacuum waiting to be filled there.

I just need to know what I'm getting into hardware-wise as I don't want to suddenly loose users because of redicilous QOS that I could have avoided. You know PPPPPP.
    "There can be only one masterfarter"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do your research and start out by obtaining a decent hosting account with a provider that can easily scale you to a dedicated solution if/when the need arises. And as Karl mentioned, it's pretty tough to determine what you'll need in terms of server resources without knowing much about your site. We host high traffic sites that require their own server(s), while other sites (with similar traffic levels) are just fine in a shared hosting environment...

It also helps if your host is aware of your needs and plans in advance. Work with your host!

Nick
    Mediast | www.mediast.com | Toll free: 1-800-883-7216

Shared & Dedicated Hosting: 100% Uptime Guaranteed!