SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Help me get these CSS links to work in Netscape...

If you take a look at the attached file in Internet Explorer you'll find that the links work perfectly. They should be white when idle, and then gray when the mouse hovers over it.

However, in NN it uses the "before hover" colour of the style for a normal link (as opposed to the colour in A.navlink which is defined specifically for these links) although it still changes to gray when mouse hovers over.

Now, I can cure this by removing the A style but I will need this. So can you guys please gimme a hand and figure out why NN is acting like this.

Cheers!

Zahid

SitePoint Evangelist azizur_rahman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont see any attached CSS why don't you copy and paste it... so that we can see.

and about brefore hover is same a a:link

have you tried somehting like this:
    navlink a:link {
    color : white;
    }

upload the page to someplace and send the URL that way you'll best help from here as everyone will be able to see where the problem is.
    Azizur Rahman
    Web Application Developer

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not quite sure what happened there, but I've uploaded the file to http://www.killer-profits.com/test.html, just preview it in IE (I use IE6) and in any NN and you'll see what I mean.

Zahid

Anyone seen my cypher? OneChance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try adding another class:
    Code:
    .navlink { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #FFFFFF; text-decoration: none; }

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, that's got the white link colour working in Netscape. Now I gotta figure out why the CSS style for normal links isn't working in NN4.x. Any ideas? I guess I gotta add some extra styles for that too?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone?

SitePoint Evangelist azizur_rahman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    visit the "Study Hyper Text" page link on my signature and download the CSS file for example...

this has over 50 pre defined styles...
    Azizur Rahman
    Web Application Developer

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks bro... but I was hoping someone could help me with my specific problem!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

possible solution

I see on your page that you have the following for "normal" links.

A.navlink { FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: none}

I would try the following for this link:

A.navlink:link { FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #ffffff; TEXT-DECORATION: none}

Also, if you're looking for a hover effect in N4.7x, I don't think it's going to work. I've never been able to get the hover effect to work in CSS using links.

For example, look at espn.go.com in IE and N4.7x. The blue links go from blue to red in IE, but in N4.7x, they don't change. (Some of the links change colors in N4.7x, but those links are flash movies embedded in the page.)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rdonaghy, the A.navlink is actually for the navigation links while the A is for normal links. I managed to get it working anyway but adding a simple . style.

Also, if you're looking for a hover effect in N4.7x, I don't think it's going to work. I've never been able to get the hover effect to work in CSS using links.
    Yeh, true, tho it works In NN6.