User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone
    I from Sydney Australia and I just put up my site however I have question regarding: What is the best way to market a site without paying lump of money ? I already try to list in major search engine but my position still
    very low. Any suggestion ?

Shopzlink

------------------
    A cheap to shop online
    Click here -> www.shopzlink.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You say marketing , but I guess you mean web promotion. Marketing is so much more than just getting hits, it what to do with the hits.

Unfortunatly there is no such thing as free web promotion! What you can do however is to pay for web promotion with your own time. But be prepared that time and effort are needed to be successful.

Basically you have the following:

Networking
    Buy traffic
    Directories
    Search Engines
    Off-line promotion

Notice how these items are ordered. This is the natural order of implementation.
    Networking comes first and then first. If you are good at gathering alliance, which includes links and other positive coverage, you are half way there. Networking is the best, start-up, way for free traffic. This traffic will help you tremendously in getting ahead with the directories. They like popular sites and if they see that then your odds of getting listed increase.

The field of web promotiion is too big to go though here, but I think you site is nice and clean and you should have any oppertunity of getting traffic to your site. You should read though the widely available material on web promotion available on the net.

About the marketing part, I wondered what you competitive advantage is? I would worry about you strategic position and that it can be copied easily.

Just one more thing. You should tidy up your site, I found some strange pages (e.g. http://www.iwt.net.au/derek/aboutUs.asp) and dead links (e.g. http://www.iwt.net.au/Newsletter/feedback.asp on "Newsletter").

Good luck!

jonpall http://www.webpromotionadvice.com/
    Learn Web Promotion as easy as 123!

[This message has been edited by jonpall (edited June 08, 2000).]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank for your advices.
    My competitive advantage that I have
    know is my targeted customers are Australian
    shoppers and I try my best that my product
    to cater their needs. I believe most of
    comparison stores are from US and most of
    those store in only mean for US shoppers.
    That is what I believe.

Derek

------------------
    A cheap to shop online

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest Beenz.com.au, they are relatively low cost and worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another fellow Aussie here

don't forgot sponsorships - meaning your site sponsoring a good cause etc - that can bring you lots of visitors and online/offline awareness if you find the right idea/site or cause to sponsor

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You now have all hints and the most important thing is to write down on a piece of paper describing how to put all these elements into practice with a concise calendar.

Do the same thing as if you are doing a business, marketing or public relations campaign.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys
    Thank for help, I already noted down
    all the thing mentioned by everyone of u.

Shopzlink

------------------
    A cheap to shop online

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, this may seem odd, but here's my view on website promotion in general:

There are general things that all sites much do...this is trading links, search engine submission, zine publishing, and all the other stuff you've heard 100 times.

Other than this, site promotion almost becomes a sixth sense after awhile. I'm still getting the hang of it...but at some point you simply become so entrenched in it that almost everything you do in relation to your site has a significantly positive effect on it's traffic...this can only be learned through time and experience.

Obviously I lack proof for this theory, but I do believe it exists. If Matt (found of SitePoint) shut down this site right now and started one on another subject, I'd expect it to do at least nearly as well...I believe site building and promotion is in the person almost as much as the concept of the site itself...

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Under Construction!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can relate to a thing TWTComish stated. I haven't really ever promoted seriously. I guess I didn't care until recently. It seemed like a waste to have only a few people visit my masterpiece.

Here is what I suggest to you:
    every time you are surfing on the web or doing some other activity, and you notice a promotion idea that you might consider for your site, write it down immediately. You would not believe how quickly things add up. I have been doing this for about half a year now, and I am bursting with several hundred ideas to get traffic to my site. It is really worth it.

------------------
    http://redrival.com/trcfreebies/
    Get more hits, for free!