User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HTML Readable from a ZIP file?

Hello!

I need a solution to a problem ... I'm working on a site for the college newpaper. The paper is published on a weekly basis. We plan on archiving prievious issues as they go along. This is where the problem comes in. The site consists of about 40 pages/issue. All those HTML files together weight in at about 568kb. That's not bad now but 2 years from now it's going to be ugly.

So I'm wondering if there's a way to compress the folder so that the archive is smaller. What I've done is, just before I archive an issue, I put it into a new folder then change all the image tags to reflect the full path ie: http://www.thesite.com/images/ so that I do not have to keep copying the images.

Any suggestions?
    MediaOhgr - But then again, maybe it's just me ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep getting a 403 Forbidden alert when I try and access your page.

In any event, you won't be able to link to individual pages inside a Zip file. Your visitors would have to download the entire archive, extract it, and then search through it to find a specific piece of information.

I think you'd be better served by making you site database enabled. Find a good CMS as that'll make your life much easer and probably lower the size of your archive (because you don't have redundant code on every page). :-)

~~Hope This Helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Ian in using a database driven site.

Your concern seems to be with the years to come. I feel there will be new ways for archiving and compression in years to come. So hopefully, this won't be an issue in the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blargh ..

Database driven was the first thing outta my face too when we started this project but unfortunatly that was not an option.

I suppose we'll just have to leave it as is for now.
    MediaOhgr - But then again, maybe it's just me ...