SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I consider myself a newbie when it comes to creating web sites (Im developing my 1st non-personal website).

Anyway, we're fairly close to release (could be a matter of either days or up to 3 weeks) and I'd like to start talking to other webmasters - with similar sites - about exchanging links. That way, once I release everything will be setup and I can focus my energy mainly on developing new content.

I want to know a few things:

Is this WAY too early to be doing this type of thing?

What's the best way to approach someone?

Even if the site I want to exchange links with is 'friendly' (im assuming Clean humour sites are run by at least semi-friendly people) would it be possible for me to get a link from them if they're already getting a good amount of traffic?

That's it really for now, I apprecaite any advice you guys can give me

thanks a lot.

-Chuck

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way to get a link is to add a link. Add their link to your page first. Then send them an email which is at least a little semi-personal.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>
    Hello, I run XYZ website and have added your link to the resources available to my visitors. You can view the link at http://www.xyz.com/yourlink.html. If there are any changes you would like to make please let me know. I added your like because I feel that our two sites compliment each other and that my visitors would benefit from your site. I especially liked that fact that your site offered &lt;insert something unique here&gt;.

Please consider adding a link to my site on your resource page. Since our sites are complimentary, I think that my site would benefit your visitors because it offers &lt;insert unique feature here&gt;. When you add my link please use the code attached to this message.

Thank You.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't send it more than once. Check their site to see if they added you. If they didn't then you have to make the decision on whether to delete the link on your site or not.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com