SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    perhaps the contents are somewhat simple, better add some rellevent topics?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the content was good but the layout did not make me want to read it

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dotancohen View Post
    In my opinion, the logo is too busy. The checkmark in the word "Website" looks great, but the two Os are redunfant and cheapen the effect. Who did the logo? I might be interested... (PM me)

The squares next to each item make it seems as though one could check them off. With a bit of AJAX, you could probably do that. I'd recommend it, it would give the user a good reason to come back to the site.
    Really agreeing with this. The logo could be much better. The boxes for the list made me really want to click on them, but they currently serve little purpose. Have them appear checked off if you hover over one of them, and/or do the same after they are a visited link. Change the colors for the links. The link colors completely clash with the logo.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is useful but you really need some design. its only 3- colors on it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you were not afraid to revert back to the basics. Book / magazine / print design worked for 100s of years and it will continue to work even on the web (hence why google doesn't change its design). Did you think it was for the luck of money or talent?
    Zip code Maps and tools - www.mapszipcode.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An interesting point about the logo colours and the link colours.

The link colours are, of course, the defaults. I did not want to mess about with the link colours having already removed the underline when not hovered over. They do however still rather dominate the page. I may have to add an explanation that they are clickable and play with other ways of highlighting them.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everything is perfect the way it is. I can only imagine how easy it is to maintain it. I wouldn't be coming to your site to get entertained even if you had the nicest looking site in the world. I would' however, come for information. And your info loard very fast. I'm lovin it
    Zip code Maps and tools - www.mapszipcode.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its nice and simple, which is something very hard to find on the internet now. The content is also good, and is something many people could use. I think the logo would look better without the little checks in the o's. Besides that it is a very creative logo. Maybe you could change the color of your links or at least the boxes next to them. I think you could spice it up a little more, while still keeping the design pretty simple. good luck with your website

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clean design, I think it's perfect for beginners. Great content.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very clean layout

Your site has a very clean layout which is perfect for beginners. It is nice and simple and that is something very hard to find on the internet now-a-days. I feel your logo will look better without the little checks in the o's. Great stuff.
    Affordable Web Hosting - Only $3.95/mo.
    10,000 MB WebSpace, 100 GB Premium Bandwidth, Host 10 Domains
    Free Blog, POP3, PHP, SiteBuilder, Ecommerce, WebStats, FP Ext.
    Budget Reseller Hosting - Start Your Hosting Company - $25/mo.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "ToDos" is hard to read correctly. My mind automatically pronounces it incorrectly (Dos instead of DO).

Maybe if you threw "To Do List" up near the tagline my mind would have figured it out a half second quicker. The word "list" helps the reader figure out what you are talking about--and fast.

That is my other thought: it takes about 5 seconds to figure out that your website has to do with to-do lists for optimizing web sites. But your landing page needs to convey more than that in the first 5 seconds. It needs to communicate all that and more in the first 5 seconds or I'm going to click away. If I have to try to figure out why I need your website then I'm gone. If I even have to think for more than two seconds what it is your website does for me then I'm gone.

I'm struggling with this myself. Good luck to you.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your page is very nice.

1) When printing after having clicked on links, the items are not the same color. I would make it so the print css (if there is one) makes visited links the same color as active links.
    2) The content in you contact page & email page don't line up with the header and footer.
    3) I would use the same style line for you header and footer
    4) It seems that forms are a part of content or meta-tags aren't
    5) The boxes on the contact and email pages don't line up at the top-right and bottom-left, in firefox os 0.4
    6) The headers (Your Details, Your Friend's Details), aren't centered in the line
    7) When in the contact or email page, there is no way to get back to your page, except to use the back button
    8) The email link doesn't turn red after having been visited (when in the email page only)
    9) You use "ToDos" and "To Dos", your probably already have figured it out what I mean, but choose one or the other.
    10) When I first landed on your page, it took me too long, imo, to figure out what this page was. A short description of what it is would be nice for that, but I wouldn't want it to take away from the simplicity. *justin has a big debate going on in his head.
    11) I am pretty sure "optimise" should be "optimiZe"
    12) "from forms" is kind of tongue twisting
    13) You have validate all data in forms, but all get and post data (not just in forms), cookie data, and session data should also be validated.
    14) What about correct database structure to dos? I would take out the sql stuff in the forms section, and give it its own section

wow, I thought I wouldn't have a very long list. I am not trying to be overly critical or anything, just honest. PM me if you have any questions.

Overall it is very nice. I am trying to decide whether it is enough information to come back to the page or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the content, easy to navigate.

You should improve the internal linking, adding a sub navigational menu would be useful with next and previous page links.

Perhaps adding some information about the site will be great... especially with the DOS thing.. some might think at the first time that it's talking about Disk Operating System or something

Would love to see a "Print This Page" link as well as some links to external resources.

Good Luck!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the further reviews (Justin especially). I'm not ignoring them but I consider the content the most important aspect of the site and I'm working on improving that first. I now have the ability to have multiple pages of information per list item and I'm working on making the explanations both easier to understand and more thorough. Then I can look at the graphical aspects.

Printing
    Yep. I need to look at this.

Alignments
    I've done some work on these (not live yet) but not on the forms. I'll take another look at them.

Home page explanation
    This has been mentioned enough that it has to be done but need to work out how to get the point across to new visitors as briefly as possible in order not to distract regulars from the list.

Header & Footer differences
    Will look at this.

Email-a-Friend Link Colour
    I can't see any satisfactory way of changing this. The TAF link is unique on each page so clicking it on one page will not turn the link red on other pages.

-ise vs. -ize
    Depends what side of the pond you are From an SEO point of view I should probably be using -ize but I find it sufficiently ugly that I'm using -ise anyway. Hopefully the SEs will work this out for themselves.

Database To Dos
    That's an idea. Although I shall have to do some studying first. I do not consider my current knowledge sufficiently in depth to be comfortable telling others what to do here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite useful. On the "Validate Code" page you link to the w3c site to do the actual validation. It would be nice if you could provide links like that to accessibility tools etc too.