Hybrid View

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Is Ajax?

Hi,

I dont think this post was ment to sound so Noobish, but this is the thing, ive been reading alot about javascript, ive even purchased the orielly definative guide, and im learning lots, but there is a problem.

Whenever i hear the term ajax my brain wonders of into a next universe and i get lost.

Basically the question is this:

Is Ajax basically JavaScript and DOM? Or is Ajax a totally seperate language thats nothing like Javascript?

And for the record, Ecmascript is just also Javascript.

Thanks for the help.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cascadingstylez View Post
    Is Ajax basically JavaScript and DOM? Or is Ajax a totally seperate language thats nothing like Javascript?
    Ajax is an architectural style, which involves using several technologies, of which Javascript is the primary.
    The wikipedia link explains it pretty good, but one common misconception to look out for is that Ajax is a style, not a technology. So Ajax != Javascript.

Quote Originally Posted by cascadingstylez View Post
    And for the record, Ecmascript is just also Javascript.
    ECMAScript is the official name. The language was conceived by Netscape, in the nineties, where Java was the big thing. Some slick marketing jerk figured that it would sell better, if they called the language Javascript, so it was marketed as such, and the name has stuck ever since. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Java, but naturally people get confused over the similar name. Later, when the language was standardised, it was renamed to ECMAScript (ECMA is the organisation, which publish the standard).