Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

R.i.p Php4: 2000-2007

Read the news lately?

PHP 4 end of life announcement
    [13-Jul-2007]

Today it is exactly three years ago since PHP 5 has been released. In those three years it has seen many improvements over PHP 4. PHP 5 is fast, stable & production-ready and as PHP 6 is on the way, PHP 4 will be discontinued.

The PHP development team hereby announces that support for PHP 4 will continue until the end of this year only. After 2007-12-31 there will be no more releases of PHP 4.4. We will continue to make critical security fixes available on a case-by-case basis until 2008-08-08. Please use the rest of this year to make your application suitable to run on PHP 5.

For documentation on migration for PHP 4 to PHP 5, we would like to point you to our migration guide. There is additional information available in the PHP 5.0 to PHP 5.1 and PHP 5.1 to PHP 5.2 migration guides as well.
    Finally! I've been waiting for this. This probably forces the hands of all the people that refuse to upgrade to php5 ever since it came out, so only good can come from this.

What is your opinion about PHP4 being dropped?

.* draziW tnioPetiS *. bronze trophy
    "Then I figure the most good good guy will win."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting.

I will be looking forward to the day when PHP5 is the standard for hosts... I hope this motivates the hosts I use to upgrade.

I do not mind PHP4 being dropped... I am looking forward to learning more about PHP5 (like I said, all the hosts I use are stuck in PHP4 land.)

I am esp. looking forward to better OOP support.

Cheers!
    M

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have been done long time ago.
    Saul

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my code is working on both php4 and php5, but I think in several months I will need to implement changes for better use of all php5 features. I am using OOP widely in my scripts, so may be I should migrate to php5 OOP standards. I am not sure that php4 OOP standards will be supported in future versions of php. As for me I like php4 OOP simplicity, but php5 is closer to the real OOP standards.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    Should have been done long time ago.
    X100000