User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CH need to give feedback.

Hi there guys.

Please be advised the the rant below is not against you . .. but merely my feelings about the situation. I love SP and love the contests section but I feel this does need some improving.

<RANT>

Okay when I look at a contest I try to enter I'm pretty happy. I take my time: I read the briefing and see what direction other members have taken so I don't copy them.

I than take some time to brainstorm a unique idea or take an idea they have offered and stretch so that it's unique.

After that I spend time creating, editing and perfecting a design.

This whole thing could take 1 hour, it could take 2 hours.

What really ticks me off is that after spending all this time designing and trying to appease the CH, he/she doesn't even bother to leave feedback.

And it's not only me but other entrants as well.

I don't understand why some CHs are allowed to give feedback to only certain people who may well have done a good job.

But if I have put in my time to try an enter a contest I think that the CH should at least acknowledge that I have created sometning for them and offer some feedback.

Doesn't have to be long. Something like this is just fine:

Skinny1 I love your style. Perhaps you could focus more on such and such. . . or include such and such .... or change the color scheme etc.

This helps a designer to understand what the CH does and doesn't like about an entry.

That way the designer can then understand further what the CH wants (we can't read minds ).

I think that if SP put forth some sort of mechanism by which CHs were forced to comment on each entry or else the contest gets suspended until such is done (within a reasonable time of course).

t would really be a win win situation. Designers would design logos that were like the CH wanted and the CH would get better looking designs.

</RANT>

Anyway, think about it .

Skinny

SitePoint Enthusiast RetroMetro/Steve's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [quote]
    I don't understand why some CHs are allowed to give feedback to only certain people who may well have done a good job.
    [end quote]

Well, Skinny1, I have to agree it sure is frustrating not getting something in return for the hard work we put into things. However, it's not the case that contest holders are "allowed" to be selective about feedback. The rules stipulate that every entry gets some sort of feedback. And, if after seven days some entry still has none, the contest is suspended and the CH is notified. Failure to rectify the situation results on permanent closure of the contest. The problem comes when a contest is shorter than seven days. I suppose there's not much one can do there. Hopefully this is something the admins and moddys are looking into. Cheers.
    ...since 1975...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup I have seen contests put on hold for contests lasting longer for seven days, but for those contests that are shorter they still should be mandated to give some sort of feedback.

Skinny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately a lot of contests meet their end this way. They're suspended after not getting feedback, and then just disappear into the oblivion of the forum.

Over $23,000 was never paid out due to suspended/abandoned/canceled/unfinished contests in May.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that is a lot of money!

It's sad because of the investment of time put in.

Something needs to be done to bring the number of contests that end that way down.

Skinny

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is something being done about it. In the next version of the contest system, you will be able to look up CH's past histories before you ever enter their contests. Also, CHs that abandon contests will not be able to start new ones.
    Sara