User Tag List

Thread: 500 Errors

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500 Errors

I have a deployed ruby on rails application that is basically a custom CMS. One of the management tools I built is uploading media files for a given article. Everything works fine on my test bed and sometimes on the production server.

The problem is I keep getting 500 errors more than I don't when I try to upload a file. Now, I am actually storing the file's in the database since It will never grow too big in the next 10 years to the point it will tax the db.

2 days ago it worked. Today it doesn't. Tomorrow it might. Who knows... but I can't have this type of sporadic behavior. Has anyone seen this happen before in their RoR and what did you do to overcome it?

I've already restarted the service ( this is on a windows box using IIS 6 and ISAP_REWRITE to reverse proxy to a mongrel service). Nothing has changed from the point it works to when it doesn't. Could this be a caching problem? I don't use many features of RoR production mode for speed enhancements. Our harddrive space on the OS partition is running low ( under 1gig ) and that is the only thing I can think of hardware wise that might be an issue.

-thanks in advance

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update :

Spent all day trying to solve the problem and it seems it isn't a RoR problem at all. The original server admin did a barebones Mysql install and the buffer size was not allowing me to upload certain sized files.

The error I was getting in development mode was

Mysql::Error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query:
    There are a few different reasons why Mysql 4.0.x gives this error and I followed the trail for all of them. From parent/child class errors to datatype problems. It turns out that my problem so far as I can tell is that the data sent to the mysql connector was being rejected up front.

Grrrr...

Hope this helps other people if you ever get this problem.