SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP4 Going End of Life

Three years after the release of PHP5 the decision has been taken to end support for PHP4 at the end of this year:

Quote Originally Posted by http://uk.php.net/
    PHP 4 end of life announcement

[12-Jul-2007] Today it is exactly three years ago since PHP 5 has been released. In those three years it has seen many improvements over PHP 4. PHP 5 is fast, stable & production-ready and as PHP 6 is on the way, PHP 4 will be discontinued.

The PHP development team hereby announces that support for PHP 4 will continue until the end of this year only. After 2007-12-31 there will be no more releases of PHP 4.4. We will continue to make critical security fixes available on a case-by-case basis until 2008-08-08. Please use the rest of this year to make your application suitable to run on PHP 5.
    What are everyone's thoughts on this? Personally, I think this is good news. It is now three years since I developed a PHP4 application and I see no reason to ever lose the features provided by 5 to go back to the arguably more supported PHP4.

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish it happened earlier. This sure should push hosts as well as the Open Source developers to upgrade their applications.

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Cant believe it has been 3 years already!

I guess the support for 4 has always been good but it is time to go to 5.
    Interestingly in Stymiee's thread What is your level of support for PHP 5? it seems that the vast majority of coders have now moved to 5 anyway.

So yes, I agree it's time to move on (even though I am stuck on 4 at work )

Off Topic:

Good to see you again Sean
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ View Post
    Cant believe it has been 3 years already!
    Probably the most surprising part of this announcement!

Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ View Post
    Off Topic:

Good to see you again Sean
    Thank you very much - great to see a lot of the old faces again

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beers are on me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The entire PHP development world is cheering. Or at least the part of it that includes me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyberfabrikken View Post
    Beers are on me.
    You can mail me a case. I'll send you a PM

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm...

I ponder though... With all those who are playing catch up with PHP5, just how long is it going to take them to move towards PHP6 next year?

Is it going to take them 3 years to move forwards? Makes me wonder is it actually worth their time now, today to make the move (finally), or would they be better off to wait another 9 months or so, and make the more direct jump straight to PHP6... Bypassing PHP5 altogether.

The benefits from a developers point of view, as well as a business point of view would be greater from the PHP4 <> PHP6 route, than it would be the PHP5 <> PHP6 route. But on the other hand, the benefits would be less if you've been with PHP5 from the start, or for the last couple of years.

As for PHP4? Well, there are still some sites using PHP3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Livingston View Post
    Umm...

Is it going to take them 3 years to move forwards? Makes me wonder is it actually worth their time now, today to make the move (finally), or would they be better off to wait another 9 months or so, and make the more direct jump straight to PHP6...
    excellent point ... I am sure there will still be widespread PHP4 only hosting in 9 months and if you consider the fact that PHP6 will be less backwards compatible than previous PHP releases then why go through the pain of breaking scripts twice ?

of course it may take 2 -3 years of PHP6 before widespread acceptance (and only recently could you say that about PHP5) ... so thats a way a way.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    > it may take 2 -3 years of PHP6 before widespread acceptance...

Well, maybe not... There is more than a passing difference between what was expected of PHP5, and what is expected of PHP6?

I mean, that with Unicode support out of the box I would imagine that this would force more people to develop with PHP6 considering that more and more business models require multi-lingual support.

The differences between PHP5 and that of PHP4 were less of an impact, that what the differences between PHP5 and PHP6 are expected to be. With PHP5 we got a far better object model but that was, well... That? Was it Earthshattering?

Wasn't for me, but I dare say that Unicode is just going to make so much difference to so many developers in so many ways. Take it from another angle yes?

The Zend Framework with it's thousands of users will more than expect Unicode support within the framework as soon as, so there you have an immediate user base that requires PHP6. More than likely this will be the same for the other frameworks, who'll follow suit sooner, rather than later.

The distinction between PHP5 and PHP4 is less so, than that of PHP6 and PHP5, this is more or less why it's taken so long for so many people to drop PHP4 in my view.

Out of interest, has anyone downloaded and installed PHP6 at the moment, as it stands? I'm thinking about taking a peek at it myself...