SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dedicated Managed Hosting Package For Dating Website?

Hi everyone,

Im thinking about launching a dating/social networking website and i was told that i will need a managed dedicated server package and i just want to know if anyone can recommend a company that offers a high quality reliable service like this? Price is obviously important too.

I would also like to know if countries like India offer good reliable high quality managed dedicated server packages too? Or if its better to go with a company in the United Kingdom or the USA etc?

Perhaps there is someone on this forum who also runs a dating/social networking website and can recommend a good dedicated managed hosting package as well?

Any recommendations or suggestions would be most welcome.

Many thanks.
    Gordon.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect that the infrastructure in the US is much better than that in most Asian countries.

As for hosts to look at, servint and liquidweb come to mind as providers that have established a name for managed hosting. Rackspace would be another one, but it's high end, and that doesn't go along with your "price is obviously important" statement.

I've used Hostgator's shared hosting for quite a while now, and been very satisfied. Their name is more easily associated with shared and reseller hosting, but I know that they offer managed dedicated servers too.

EDIT: Are you sure that your marketing will be so effective that you will require a dedicated server soon after launch?
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

Thanks for your response it has been most helpful as im completely new to all of this and this will be my first website and so im obviously confused about things like hosting etc. The web designer told me that i would need a dedicatated managed hosting solution to cope with lots of people on my website at the same time and so this is why i have been looking for this type of hosting but have found it very expensive. And im not sure about how effective my marketing will be intially but i can imagine maybe having a couple of thousand people after 6 or 7 months and i suppose then there will only be a few hundred on the website at any one time and so im not sure what type of hosting will be suitable for this? The dedicated managed hosting solution i was advised to get or some other type? And so i would be grateful for any help or information you or anyone else can give me.

I will try those hosting companies you suggested and see what types of hosting they have to offer. I think my budget will be about 100 pounds a month for a dedicated managed hosting soluton and im not exactly sure what that buys you in the world of dedicated managed hosting.

Many thanks
    Gordon.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For 100 pounds you'll get an medium level server. If all goes well you'll soon need to upgrade, so watch the prices for upgrades (parts, bandwidth, etc)
    ►File Services◄
    Premium High Bandwidth File Hosting

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im not exactly sure what that buys you in the world of dedicated managed hosting.
    That's roughly $200; IMO that will get you an entry level managed dedicated server.

i suppose then there will only be a few hundred on the website at any one time
    If that's indeed the kind of traffic that you're expecting, it is indeed in the dedicated hosting realm. Not something to put in the average shared hosting environment, for sure.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will definitely look into getting a dedicated managed hosting solution in the long run but may see if its possible to start off on another hosting package because intially of course i will be unsure how many people will actually using the website.

Many thanks
    Gordon

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may actually start with VPS plan, as it's not that you'll have a big forum overnight, just make sure your host will be able to upgrade you to dedicated once you need it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GORDONUK View Post
    I will definitely look into getting a dedicated managed hosting solution in the long run but may see if its possible to start off on another hosting package because intially of course i will be unsure how many people will actually using the website.
    VPS hosting is also available with fully managed services. You just need to think about the configuration of server and look for the best host around.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your starting a new social networking site, you might want to look for a managed vps at around $50/month, simply because you're not going to have a sudden rush of people. Test it on the vps, get your first 100 sign ups, whatever, then, look to dedicated.
    Fanatical Host
    THE one stop shop for budget hosting
    24/7 Support | 99.5% uptime
    shared | reseller | dedicated

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dating/social networking sites are always touch and go, so stick with a host who can easily upgrade you from one package to another, you may start with a shared account and then move to a VPS, and hopefully, later to dedicated when your sirte grows that much. Don't think it's reasonable to spend $200 on dedi is the site isn't mission-critical. Check a2hosting.com plans as they have all the package plans: shared, VPS and dedicated.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where you host, should be where you expect most of your users to be - You've also got to consider privacy issues on exporting personal information etc. and compliance with local laws with regards to data.

If you're only just starting out, then I'd recommend you start with shared hosting, unless you've got some very specific needs - otherwise you could be spending £lots/month, when you've got very little money coming in, and to any business, cash-flow is king, you don't want to be "wasting" money - Sure, you move from shared to a dedicated you may have a small amount of downtime (shouldn't be a lot at all), which may cost you £100 of business - but if you've saved £150/month over the last 3 months by not needing a dedicated server, then you're coming out on top.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by craigLL View Post
    Dating/social networking sites are always touch and go, so stick with a host who can easily upgrade you from one package to another, you may start with a shared account and then move to a VPS, and hopefully, later to dedicated when your sirte grows that much. Don't think it's reasonable to spend $200 on dedi is the site isn't mission-critical. Check a2hosting.com plans as they have all the package plans: shared, VPS and dedicated.
    I agree with craigLL..... since you are just starting out, you might as well go with something easy on the pocket......unless you have very deep pockets and are planning to do some heavy-duty marketing....
    Try reliable web hosting service provided by MarbleHost.com.