SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Interesting Image fade problem!

Hi all,

I'm working on a website atm and I have a problem with the background images where I'm trying to fade them away.

The website can be viewed at http://217.37.55.233/index1.html

I use a MAC to develop websites on which is set to Million's of Colours so this problem only came to my attention when tested on our PC

The pages have a websafe background of #333333. The problem images are the lower right background images on each page. It's not too noticable when there's text infront eg. on the Main page, but if you look at an empty page eg. contact, it's very apparent.

The photoshop files blend nicely and no matter what settings i save these images at JPG/GIF, with all variants, dithered, non-dithered, system, perceptual etc. etc. i can't get rid of the 'hard' fade

Can some of you guys change your monitor colour depths and tell me if there's a real problem or i'm just being paranoid. It tends to work fine on some and not on others. Less than ideal, to make it worse i think it also depends on gamma settings as well.

My results are........

MAC
    256 Colours - OK
    1000's Colours - Image fade shows up
    Million's Colours - OK

PC
    256 Colours - Passable, Image fade shows up a little
    High Colour (16bit) - Image fade shows up
    True Colour (24bit) - Passable, Image fade shows up a little

Having developed many websites over the past few years, this is the first time i've had this problem.

Anyone got any suggestions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it looked great on my pc set to true color. what kind of configuration is the pc that you're testing it on?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply

We a have a typical setup i think, WIN ME, GeForce256 GFX card. It seems anything less than the best e.g. true colour/millions colours, this fade shows up

Can u pull up your settings and take a quick peek in the lower color depths plz?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    17" monitor
    3DFX Voodoo 3 2000 AGP @ 16 bit
    -------------------------------

I see the problem and I in my experience it only happens when you save your image as a .JPG, it seems you have saved it as a .GIF so I have no idea why it happens. Have you tried using the Save For Web... feature?
    Jeroen Mulder

w: www.jeroenmulder.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think what you're seeing is some leftover artifacts from switching the color space settings. i did get it to band when swithching between high and true color settings, but hitting reload cleared the problem. i don't think you have anything to worry about. as it looked good in both settings when i hit reload.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments guys!

I always use the Save For Web features to get the best possible result, thanks for the suggestion though JMulder

Thanks for your efforts bbolte, i feel a little more at ease now