SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I'm at it... Chp. 8 issues...(Ruby)

I decided to move on, and though I doubt it, my testing problems in chp 7 could be contributing to this. As I said, I doubt it.

I am now having issues with getting my HTML to generate for my account login screen as described on page 244. When going to the account/login section, the body of my source code is empty. Nothing is generated. I retraced my steps and have checked that there are no typos. There are none!

Has anybody else had this issue?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would get more help if you could provide enough information for those without the book to provide assistance.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having the same problem

Have had exactly the same problem, the following code:

<% form_tag do %>
    <p>Please log in.</p>
    <p>
    <label>Username/label>
    <%= text_field_tag 'login' %>
    </p>
    <p>
    <label>Password/label>
    <%= password_field_tag 'password' %>
    </p>
    <p><%= submit_tag 'login' %></p>
    <% end %>

renders a blank page. (In the book the end tag is incorrectly written end_form, but is corrected on the web site's errata page. I've tried both ways just to make sure but no success.)
    Have found the book quite good up to this point. Any ideas anyone?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what's the URL in the browser?
    and as for rendering a 'blank page', do u mean no message like 'Unknown Action' etc.?

another clue: check the logs in: log/development.log or chk the data in the terminal window you started your server in (the script/server command).

the erb code u posted looks fine to me. did you chk your layout file for anything you might have mistyped? last thing: have you compared all of your code to the source code supplied by the book? run a 'diff' command against pairs of files, yours & his, to see what's different. (diff 'your_file' 'his_file' ). if anything prints out, those are the differences between the two files.

or maybe it has something to do w/ those little pac-man icons u have.
    ;-p