SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Patrick Lenz's Book : Theoretically Good byt Practically Useless …

Email : simonwhel@yahoo.com

“If I can do it then it can’t be done ! …”.

As Dr. Nick of the Simpsons sez :

Hi Everybody !

I’ve been working in software for almost 30 years.

Over the years one of the phrases that has resonated most powerfully with my work experience is the following :

In theory, there’s no difference between theory and practice but …
    In practice, there is.

I recently picked up a copy of Patrick Lenz’s book : “Build Your Own Ruby on Rails”. I intended to use it to help me develop my 1st Ruby on Rails Web Application.

Theoretically it seems to be quite a good book. It’s well written. It has good examples and it seems to cover all the basics that one needs to know in order to get up and working.

Practically speaking it is completely useless. Well, completely useless to me at this point.

I also have to say that this is not necessarily Patrick’s fault. I may very well have slipped up on some small detail that has both stopped & stymied my progress entirely.

At this point I haven’t even been able to get to doing any of the actual Ruby or Rails work on my project as I’m both stymied and stuck in the installation process. If I can’t finish the installation in “Chapter 2 : Getting Started” then I cannot use the book to actually get down and do some Ruby and Rails work. At this point the book is useful to me only as a :

• Door Stop
    • Book End
    • Drink Coaster
    • Toilet Paper.
    • Kevlar Substitute (I live in NYC).

By the way, I’m running Mac OSX 10.4.10 on a single processor 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5.

So far, by following Patrick’s instructions in “Chapter 2 : Getting Started”, I’ve been able (I think) to sequentially install the following :

1. Readline (version ? : successful, I think)
    2. Ruby (version 1.8.4 – 2005-12-24 : successful, I think)
    3. Rails (version 1.2.3 : successful, I think)
    4. MySQL (version 5.0.4.1 : successful, I think !?!)

The problem is that something is clearly wrong and at this point I have no clue how to solve the problem.

At the bottom of page 29 in “ Chapter 2 : Getting Started” Patrick tells us to start the MySQL server manually by opening a Terminal window and typing in the following text :

$ sudo /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe5

When I bring up a Terminal window (metaphorically, not literally, I’m not on some sort of weird digital diet) and I type that into the Terminal window I get the following :

Last login: Mon Jul 9 18:14:41 on ttyp1
    Welcome to Darwin!
    user-12ldl6t:~ simonwhelan$ sudo /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe5
    Password:
    sudo: /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe5: command not found
    user-12ldl6t:~ simonwhelan$

The relevant line in the forgoing Terminal gibberish is

sudo: /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe5: command not found

The “command not found” has both stopped me and stymied me.

What I don’t understand is if I have successfully installed MySQL 5.0.4.1 then why can’t the Terminal find the MySQL commands ?

So, folk (and folkettes, no chauvinist, me) what have I done wrong ?

And, more importantly, what can I do to fix it ?

As I said above, I actually think, theoretically speaking Patrick’s book is pretty good.

But, practically speaking, if I can’t solve this problem then his book is completely useless to me and I’m going to have to toss it into the rubbish bin and go out and buy another book and start over again from scratch.

And, there’s no guaranteeing that I’m not going to have similar problems with the next book.

And, finally, to be completely fair to Patrick, the problem, well, at least in my estimation, isn’t necessarily Patrick’s book, it’s the instructions in his book coupled with my inexperience in working with the Terminal and the lower depths of BSD.

For the last 12 years I’ve been working with Java (in my estimation just as Java is C++ done right, so Ruby (and Rails) are Java done right). A lot of that work was done using Metrowerks now defunct but then excellent Java (& C & C++ etc.) development environment called ‘Code Warrior’. It very effectively, well, most of the time, insulated us from the Terminal, the Command Line and direct confrontation with the Dreaded Command Line User Interface of BSD.

So, can any of you Ruby & Rails experts and/or Mac OSX/Unix savants give me any suggestions or advice as to what I’m doing wrong ?

Believe me, it would be immensely appreciated.

I just can’t wait for the time when I’ll be befuddled by Ruby mysteries and utterly bewildered by Rails problems.

Until then, I’d like to thank each and every one of you for any all help you can send my way.

Err … Thanks !

Comme toujours, here is my contact information :

1. Email : simonwhel@yahoo.com
    2. Phone : 718-777-7731

The easiest times to reach me are in the mornings before 11:00 AM or in the evening after about 7:00 PM.

All the best & talk to you soon … Simon.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Simon,

I'm sorry to hear about your trouble to get started.

If you've installed MySQL 5 from a Mac OS X disk image installer downloaded from mysql.com (as suggested in the original print of my book) you should find this complete install in /usr/local/mysql/ and thusly MySQL should be started with

Code:
    sudo /usr/local/mysql/bin/safe_mysql
    Likewise, any MySQL command mentioned that has a trailing '5' in it should be executed without this trailing '5' if you've installed MySQL from said disk image (as opposed to MacPorts, for example).

Hope this helps. Please report back if it doesn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you are in the software industrty from 30 years you should be able to easly resolv this simple path/installation issue. For me the code and the instructions in the book for the installation worked perfectly following them exactly on your same platform

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for your rapid response … unfortunately it didn't help ! …

Hi Patrick !

1st off, I would like to thank you for the alacrity of your response to my plaintive missive regarding my problems in setting up to use your rather good book “Build Your Own Ruby on Rails Web”.

I tried your suggestion.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work. Actually, I get the same response I got when I tried the command

sudo /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe5

Doing the forgoing produces the following result :

Last login: Tue Jul 10 12:16:51 on ttyp1
    simon-whelans-power-mac-g5:~ simonwhelan$ sudo /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe5
    sudo: /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe5: command not found
    simon-whelans-power-mac-g5:~ simonwhelan$

Entering the command :

produces the following result :

Last login: Tue Jul 10 12:21:30 on ttyp1
    Welcome to Darwin!
    simon-whelans-power-mac-g5:~ simonwhelan$ sudo /usr/local/mysql/bin/safe_mysql
    sudo: /usr/local/mysql/bin/safe_mysql: command not found
    simon-whelans-power-mac-g5:~ simonwhelan$
    In other words, both commands produce the following results :

sudo: /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe5: command not found

and

both produce the same result.

I have to tell you Patrick, I’m both mystified and frustrated by this.

I realize that part of the reason why I’m having these problems is that most of the development work I’ve done over the last 12 or so years has been with integrated development environments like Metrowerks Code Warrior that pretty much completely insulated me from dealing with the command line interface of Mac OSX (and, therefore, BSD).

At this point I think I should step back a bit and explain how I’ve gone about setting up the Ruby on Rails development environment as per Chapter 2 of your book “Getting started”.

1st off I’m working (& booting off of an external FireWire drive).

The drive is divided into 2 logical partitions named :

1. TigerRuby
    2. Tiger10.4.10.

Both logical drives have OSX 10.4.10 installed on them.

Obviously, all the development stuff is on the logical drive named “Tiger Ruby”.

Here are the steps I followed to set up the logical drive called “TigerRuby” :

1. I erased the drive. Actually, I didn’t just erase it, I zeroed out all the data on that logical partition.
    2. I then installed Mac OSX 10,4,10 from scratch.
    3. I downloaded and installed the “readline-5.1” as per your instructions on page 25. It’s located at “TigerRuby/Users/simonwhelan/readline-5.1”.
    4. I downloaded and installed Ruby as per your instructions also located on page 25. It’s located at “TigerRuby/Users/simonwhelan/ruby-1.8.4”.
    5. I downloaded and installed “RubyGems” as per your instructions located on pages 26-27. It’s located at “TigerRuby/Users/simonwhelan/rubygems-0.9.0”.
    6. I downloaded and installed Rails as per your instructions located on pages 27-28. I have no idea where it is in that unlike the 3 aforementioned packages it doesn’t seem to show up in the Finder. If I do an ?F ON ‘RAILS’ NOTHING USEFUL SHOWS UP. But, if I enter “rails -v” from the Terminal window, the following text appears :

Rails 1.2.3

Clearly, Rails, version 1.2.3 has been installed somewhere on “TigerRuby”. I have no idea where, however.
    7. I followed the instructions on page 29 to download and install MySQL. I downloaded the Mac OSX (package format) entitled : “Mac OSX 10.4 (PowerPC, 32-bit, version 5.0.41 (61.9M)”. Doing this download installed the following 2 items on my DeskTop :

a) mysql-5.0.41-osx10.4-powerpc
    b) MYSQL-5.0.41-OSX10.4-POWERPC.DMG
    8. I then double clicked on the install package entitled “MYSQL-5.0.41-OSX10.4-POWERPC.PKG”. This package is located inside the folder entitled : “MYSQL-5.0.41-OSX10.4-POWERPC”, which, in turn, is on the logical drive “TigerRuby”. I followed all the installation instructions. When the installer finished it put up a message saying the MySQL software had been successfully installed. I should mention here that I have no idea installer actually installed MySQL. I can’t find it !

Well, Patrick, this is what I did. Unfortunately, I have no idea why the “sudo /usr/local/mysql/bin/safe_mysql” doesn’t work.

I suspect it might have something to do with the directory structure. Or, alternatively, my system might not know where to find things properly. I have no idea how to address much less fix these 2 problems if they are, indeed, actually causing my problems.

I realize that a lot of the reason why I’m having problems is simply that I’m neither familiar nor comfortable with the command line interface of Mac OSX (and, therefore, BSD).

But, having said that, I just don’t understand why, when so far as I can see I’ve followed all the steps you outlined in your book to the letter hat the installation of the development environment of Ruby & Rails really have to be this hard !

By comparison, Metrowerks’ Code Warrior was exceedingly straightforward and simple.

I realize that I’ve probably screwed up on some small detail. The problem is that for the life of me I have no idea what that detail might have been !

So, Patrick if you have some insight or advice or help that can help me extricate myself from what John Bunyan, in the “Pilgrim’s Progress” would have described as this “Slough of Despond” I would immensely appreciate it.

For that matter, if there are any other persusers of this admittedly massive missive who have any advice, help or insights that might help me figure out what’s wrong I would immensely appreciate them.

Thank you in advance for your help !

The easiest times to reach me are in the mornings before 11:00 AM or in the evening after about 7:00 PM.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Type `whereis mysql` at the terminal and it will tell you if mysql is installed, and if so, where.

Example outputs:

Code:
    mysql:
    This means that mysql isn't there.

Code:
    mysql: /the/path/to/mysql
    This is the path of the mysql executable. If it finds mysql then you can try other names such as mysqld_safe5.

On my computer (on Linux), the executable is called mysqld_safe (without the 5):

Code:
    ~$ whereis mysqld_safe
    mysqld_safe: /usr/bin/mysqld_safe /usr/man/man1/mysqld_safe.1.gz

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Simon,

I think we're close. If you weren't able to get back on track using fenir's instructions, here's another try to track down the problem.

If you've installed MySQL from said .dmg package, it'll be installed in /usr/local/mysql with its binaries in /usr/local/mysql/bin. Since I don't think we need to walk you through setting and displaying your PATH, try:

Code:
    (I think my last posed lacked the trailing 'd').

If that doesn't work, try to follow along in the Terminal (enter commands on lines starting with a dollar sign, like in the book, but don't type the dollar sign literally):

Code:
    $ cd /usr/local/mysql/bin
    $ ls -l *safe*
    -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  13027 Oct 21  2006 mysqld_safe
    lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel     11 Mar 10 12:17 safe_mysqld -> mysqld_safe
    So on my machine, with MySQL 5.0.27 installed from the DMG package download from mysql.com, the command to start MySQL would indeed be as mentioned above.

Code:

Alternatively, there's another installer in the DMG archive. MySQLStartupItem.pkg installs a preference pane into Mac OS X's System Preferences utility. Using this new pane you can easily start and stop MySQL without worrying about the command line.

Hope this helps.

Best,
    Patrick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get detail instructiuons on installing Ruby, Rails, Gems, Mongrel, and Readlin at http://hivelogic.com/narrative/artic...grel-mysql-osx

MySQL also included but it's not a compile. No need since MySQL supplies a .dmg file.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Success ! I think ? …

Hi Patrick !

1st off, I would like to thank you for the alacrity of your 2nd response to my 2nd plaintive missive regarding my problems in setting up Ruby & Rails to use your rather good book “Build Your Own Ruby on Rails Web Applications”.

2nd, I’d like to apologize to you for not getting back to you earlier.

The SitePoint site was sending me emails when responses were being posted to my question on the SitePoint forum. Unfortunately, they stopped notifying me but didn’t tell me they’d stopped notifying me so I didn’t realize that ‘Fenerir2’, you and ‘crag’ had all responded to my 2nd posting.

I live in Queens in New York City. Global warming is causing us to have very intense rainfall and very severe thunderstorms. This, in turn, frequently knocks out my Time Warner Cable connection. That takes up time getting fixed, and, that often slows down my responses to help that is being provided to me by you and others on the forum that have so kindly put up responses to my postings.

So, not realizing I’d received additional responses to my 2nd posting, I started all over again from the very beginning. I figured I might have made some small mistake in following the instructions in Chapter 2 ‘Getting Started – Installing on Mac OSX’, so, if I installed everything from the very beginning I might be able to avoid whatever error(s) was causing the problem.

Here’s what I did :

1. I erased everything on the logical drive “TigerRuby”. I also zeroed out all the data.
    This took a couple of hours.
    2. I installed Mac OSX 10.4.3 from a DVD. This took about an hour.
    3. I updated Mac OSX from 10.4.3 to 10.4.10. I did this over the web.
    At the same time, I accepted all the other updates that were provided.
    This took about another hour.
    4. I downloaded all 930 megabytes of XCode 2.4.1 from the web and installed it.
    This took about another 2 hours.
    5. Software Update came up with another raft of updates. I accepted them all.
    6. I set the Path as per the instructions on page 23 of your book.
    7. I created a “Build” directory on my Desktop as per page 24.
    8. I downloaded and installed “readline-5.1” as per page 25.
    9. I downloaded Ruby as per page 25.
    10. I checked the version using “ruby -v”.
    It came back with : “ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin8.10.0]”
    I think this is correct.
    11. I then downloaded and installed RubyGems as per page 26.
    12. I then checked the version of RubyGems using : “gem -v”.
    That returned the string : “0.9.0” which I think is correct.
    13. I then downloaded and installed rails as per page 27.
    14. I then checked the version of rails using : rails –v.
    It returned the string “Rails 1.2.3”. I think this is correct.
    15. I then attempted to download and install MySQL.
    The specific package I downloaded is :
    “mysql-5.0.45-osx10.4-powerpc.dmg”.
    The truth is, given that I have a 1.8 GHz Power PC G5 (PowerPC 970 (2.2)),
    I’m not actually 100% certain that I downloaded the correct version for my machine.
    According to “About this Mac … More Info …” the Machine Model is a :
    “PowerMac 7,2”.

Now, let’s talk about that “whereis” command.

On the one hand, I do appreciate hearing about it. And, I do appreciate that “Fenerir2” took the time to tell me about it.

On the other hand, well, it’s kinda useless. Here’s what I mean :

Last login: Wed Jul 18 20:49:19 on ttyp1
    Welcome to Darwin!
    user-12ldlhq:~ simonwhelan$ whereis readline-5.1
    user-12ldlhq:~ simonwhelan$ whereis ruby
    /usr/bin/ruby
    user-12ldlhq:~ simonwhelan$ whereis gem
    user-12ldlhq:~ simonwhelan$ whereis rails
    user-12ldlhq:~ simonwhelan$ whereis MySQL
    user-12ldlhq:~ simonwhelan$ whereis mysql
    user-12ldlhq:~ simonwhelan$

It looks to me like “whereis” is only good for telling me where ruby is.

So, what then do I use to find readline-5.1, rubygems, rails, & MySQL ?

The “-v” command (or is it an “option” for a command ?) is somewhat is useful.

Last login: Wed Jul 18 21:20:18 on ttyp1
    Welcome to Darwin!
    user-12ldlhq:~ simonwhelan$ ruby -v
    ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin8.10.0]
    user-12ldlhq:~ simonwhelan$ gem -v
    user-12ldlhq:~ simonwhelan$ rails -v
    Rails 1.2.3
    user-12ldlhq:~ simonwhelan$ MySQL -v
    -bash: MySQL: command not found
    user-12ldlhq:~ simonwhelan$ mysql -
    -bash: mysql: command not found

So, so far, I know what version of Ruby I have (1.8.4) and where it is (/usr/bin/ruby).

I also know what versions of rubygems (0.9.0) and rails (1.2.3) I have but I have no idea where they are.

As for readline-5.1 & MySQL is have no idea where they are nor what version of each of them that I have.

Well, OK, if I have readline it’s probably version 5.1 . But, still, why can’t I find the little buggers ?

You know, if I were perusing the menu at an Outback Steakhouse right now instead of trying to find things on my Mac, I’d be bellowing in a rather heavy Australian accent : “Not Good ! Mum ! No Good !”.

Well, I’m now ready to try out Patrick’s latest suggestions regarding getting the damn MySQL server running.

If I do the following :

user-12ldlhq:~ simonwhelan$ cd /usr/local/mysql
    user-12ldlhq:/usr/local/mysql simonwhelan$ ls

I get the following :

COPYING data scripts
    EXCEPTIONS-CLIENT docs share
    INSTALL-BINARY include sql-bench
    README lib support-files
    bin man tests
    configure mysql-test
    user-12ldlhq:/usr/local/mysql simonwhelan$

This suggests that I do have the MySQL stuff installed at : /usr/local/mysql
    Is it the right MySQL stuff ? I have no idea …

If I do the following :

I get :

Password:

“command not found”, well that sucked !

OK, if I do this :

cd /usr/local/mysql/bin

I get :

user-12ldlhq:/usr/local/mysql/bin simonwhelan$

If I do :

ls -l *safe*

I get :

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 13060 Jul 4 11:46 mysqld_safe
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 11 Jul 17 18:50 safe_mysqld -> mysqld_safe

If I do :

I get :

Password:

Well, that sucked, once again I get “command not found”.

I just don’t get it ! So far as I can see I’m doing everything exactly the way I’m supposed to but it just doesn’t work ! I have idea why !

But then …

I’m told that the human brain generates about 20 watts of electricity.

I suspect that my feeble brain probably only generates about 10 watts or so.

Just like Homer Simpson a very dim neon light in the shape of a small hollow chartreuse donut went off above my head.

Simultaneously (or, I suppose, in my case, Simontaneously) a roar in the sonic shape of “DOH !” erupted from my throat.

In other words, 3 things occurred to me more or less simultaneously; i.e. :

1. The “cd” command enables me to change directories
    2. The “ls” command enables me to list the contents of a directory.
    3. Patrick told me where both “MySQL” and the MySQL binaries should be located if I’ve actually installed them properly
    (i.e. : “/usr/local/mysql” & “/usr/local/mysql/bin”).

Well, if the 3 foregoing considerations are all true then wouldn’t it be a good idea to navigate to those files and see what’s in them ?

If the directories are there and they have what look like the proper contents then that would suggest that MySQL has been properly installed.

So, I typed in the following :

user-12ldlhq:~ simonwhelan$ cd /usr/local/mysql
    user-12ldlhq:/usr/local/mysql simonwhelan$ ls

This gave the following result :

COPYING data scripts
    EXCEPTIONS-CLIENT docs share
    INSTALL-BINARY include sql-bench
    README lib support-files
    bin man tests
    configure mysql-test
    user-12ldlhq:/usr/local/mysql simonwhelan$

As readers of this voluminous positing I’m sure will readily agree that, although I’m certainly no expert in MySQL, that sure does look like MySQL has actually been installed.

I then typed in :

user-12ldlhq:/usr/local/mysql simonwhelan$ cd /usr/local/mysql/bin
    user-12ldlhq:/usr/local/mysql/bin simonwhelan$ ls

That gave the following result :

CMakeLists.txt mysqld-debug
    comp_err mysqld_multi
    comp_sql.c mysqld_safe
    make_sharedlib_distribution mysqldump
    make_win_bin_dist mysqldumpslow
    make_win_src_distribution mysqlhotcopy
    msql2mysql mysqlimport
    my_print_defaults mysqlmanager
    myisam_ftdump mysqlshow
    myisamchk mysqltest
    myisamlog mysqltestmanager
    myisampack mysqltestmanager-pwgen
    mysql mysqltestmanagerc
    mysql_client_test ndb_config
    mysql_config ndb_cpcd
    mysql_convert_table_format ndb_delete_all
    mysql_explain_log ndb_desc
    mysql_find_rows ndb_drop_index
    mysql_fix_extensions ndb_drop_table
    mysql_fix_privilege_tables ndb_error_reporter
    mysql_fix_privilege_tables_sql.c ndb_mgm
    mysql_secure_installation ndb_mgmd
    mysql_setpermission ndb_restore
    mysql_tableinfo ndb_select_all
    mysql_tzinfo_to_sql ndb_select_count
    mysql_upgrade ndb_show_tables
    mysql_upgrade_shell ndb_size.pl
    mysql_waitpid ndb_test_platform
    mysql_zap ndb_waiter
    mysqlaccess ndbd
    mysqlaccess.conf perror
    mysqladmin replace
    mysqlbinlog resolve_stack_dump
    mysqlbug resolveip
    mysqlcheck safe_mysqld
    mysqld

And that sure looks like what I would imagine the binaries for MySQL would look like.

Now, if I try to use Patrick’s suggested command :

I get :

user-12ldlhq:~ simonwhelan$ sudo /usr/local/mysql/bin/safe_mysql
    Password:

It looks to me that the reason for this is that there is no binary called “safe_mysql”.

There is, however, a binary called “safe_mysqld”.

So, if I try the following command :

sudo /usr/local/mysql/bin/safe_mysqld

I get the following result :

user-12ldlhq:~ simonwhelan$ sudo /usr/local/mysql/bin/safe_mysqld
    Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/data

And that to me looks like I have finally gotten the damn MySQL database to up and running !

Although I don’t appreciate the amount of time it’s taken me to solve this problem I realize that most of the reason for my difficulties has to do with my extensive and profound ignorance of the intricacies of command line interfaces.

Well, as a result of going through this exercise I actually do know a little more about command line interfaces and how to use them to do Ruby on Rails programming.

Obviously, this is a critical skill so I’m glad that I now know enough to enable me to get started and get myself, presumably in the near future, into yet more trouble.

I’d also like to thank Patrick, Fenrir2 & crag for taking the time to send me your helpful suggestions.

Thank you !!!