SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Does anyone know what the averages are in terms of banner advertising? By this I mean: what percentage of visitors tend to click on ad banners, what percentage stay at the new site for an extended period of time, etc.? How much higher are the numbers if the banner ad subject is related to the site they're currently visiting?

If anyone knows please step forward! I know there's some place to find this info, but have no idea where to find it.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Under Construction!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard a few numbers for the CTR (click-through rate) ranging from .5% to 1.5 all the way up to 10%. The leading advertisement on Netscape back in the days of '95 got a 33% CTR.

The second really depends on the quality of the advertiser's site. The third question also depends on the quality.

There are of course no absolutes in the percents I listed.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard that around 1-2% is average. However, this depends on a lot of factors (like where on the site the banner is, etc)

As Quinn stated, the last two depend on a lot of factors, and hard to calculate an average.

------------------
    http://redrival.com/trcfreebies/
    Get more hits, for free!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard that the CTR on untargetted banners is around 0.5%. For targetted banners, meaning the banner is more suited to the site, it can be much higher.

A lot depends on the banner too. Some banners look like error messages, so they get high CTR's. Some are just plain creative and get high CTR's. Some offer little incentive to click -- and those are the ones that the advertisers try and push because advertisers who are paying by the click usually don't want people to click -- if people click, it costs them money. They'd rather try and get their name out there so you remember it later.

Ralph

------------------
    http://www.hockeydb.com