User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check for wap support

Hello!

I would like to know how can I check if the browser has wap support? I would like the following scenario: if someone hits my page from a mobile phone or pda, he must see the wap version. If he hits the page from a pc, show the xhtml version.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cheat on this one - I tell my mobile users to go to wap.domain.com or mobile.domain.com. It's possible that you can sniff the Accept request header (should be in $_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT']), serve up the WAP version if it's preferred over XHTML, and serve up XHTML otherwise. No idea how reliable this is, though, as I've no idea how many browsers send a reliable Accept header.

From the HTTP/1.1 spec:
    Quote Originally Posted by RFC2616
    If no Accept header field is present, then it is assumed that the client accepts all media types. If an Accept header field is present, and if the server cannot send a response which is acceptable according to the combined Accept field value, then the server SHOULD send a 406 (not acceptable) response.
    So to conform to spec you can serve up XHTML any time the Accept header is not present; when it is, you should look for WAP or XHTML and server the preferred one. And to strictly conform to spec, respond with a 406 header (header("HTTP/1.1 406 Not Acceptable") if neither WAP nor XHTML (nor any other method you support) is specified in the Accept header.
    PHP questions? RTFM
    MySQL questions? RTFM