User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

better support for unicode in php5 ?

hello,

i did a site a little while ago including a web form or two, used php4.something to handle the form submission and found unicode was not well supported (as semi-detailed in this thread http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461215 ).

just wondering if php5 generally makes a better job of it than php4 ? also does being on an apache 2 server rather than an pre apache 2 server have any posative effect?

thanks.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnyboy View Post
    just wondering if php5 generally makes a better job of it than php4 ? also does being on an apache 2 server rather than an pre apache 2 server have any posative effect?
    Generally, no. PHP6 is in the works (Planned for release in about 6 months from now), and is basically PHP5+unicode.

The problems you're having in the linked-to thread, doesn't need unicode support to be solved -- it's a matter of serving content in the proper charset. Unicode support is not going to solve this type of headaches for you. I'm not going to pretend that it's easy, but you really would be doing yourself a favor to sit down and understand how charsets work, and exactly where it goes wrong.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    right, i see.

ok thanks v. much for the info