SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it common for hosts to provide only 1 db?

Hi!

Is it common for 10-15$+/month to provide only 1 database?

Thanks!!!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it's not. They would in most cases allow a lot more than a single database, if not unlimited. which hosting do you use?
    Last edited by Kailash Badu; Jul 9, 2007 at 11:37.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For that sort of money I'd expect at least a handful of databases.

Hosted like our own ... Uncensored's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think databases should be disbursed like any other resource. They should be relevant to the cost of the plan IMO. I do not think it's prudent to promise unlimited databases except in Semi Dedicated/Reseller plans. On the other hand I do not think one (1) database is sufficient for a monthly plan costing $10-15. I too would expect such a plan have at least a handful of databases. When people have unlimited databases they are more likely to create and leave abandoned databases on the server. When a finite number are involved users have to be mindful of the fact that they are wasting resources/databases and reclaim the same.
    Ddos, DOS, Brute force, Password Trading & Proxy attack defense.
    • MONEY BACK GUARANTEE! • No price increase EVER!
    gus@photographybygus.com | sales@uncensored-hosting.com
    PbG Video, Graphic & Web Design | Uncensored-Hosting

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Of course you only need one database anyway since that is the purpose of a database - to put ALL the data in one place and provide the access to those parts of the data to those applications that need it. The only reason people use more than one database is that they don't understand how databases work. Of course keeping the data for separate domains in separate databases makes the domain more portable for when you decide to move it and so having as many databases as you have domains is useful. More than that is completely unnecessary and inefficient.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aqw View Post
    Hi!

Thanks!!!
    Though most of the hosting provider will provide more DBs with such amount but it should be according to the hosting plan. More money means more databases and other resources.
    บบบ Free 1 GB Space + 30 GB Bandwidth with Reseller Hosting
    บบบ Windows Reseller Hosting | Linux Reseller Hosting
    บบบ Paypal & all major Credit Cards accepted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aqw View Post
    Hi!

Thanks!!!
    that seem like costly... and probably you should expecting around 100 mysql db for that price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    Of course you only need one database anyway since that is the purpose of a database - to put ALL the data in one place and provide the access to those parts of the data to those applications that need it. The only reason people use more than one database is that they don't understand how databases work. Of course keeping the data for separate domains in separate databases makes the domain more portable for when you decide to move it and so having as many databases as you have domains is useful. More than that is completely unnecessary and inefficient.
    I have to disagree with you.

I can think of several situations in which separate databases are beneficial. And it's not because I "don't understand how databases work."

For me, it's much more efficient, for example, to have a database for each major application group. If I have a dozen individual applications each with 20-30 tables, and put them all into one database, trying to find the one table that I'm looking for becomes tedious. (Does this application call the table "config" or "configuration" or "options" or "settings" or something else?) It's much easier and quicker for me to to go to the "clients" database and select the "configurations" table.

Keeping separate databases makes backups more efficient, also. If I'm messing around with the "clients" database and want to back it up before I start, I can just do the whole DB. If I have a dozen other projects in the same DB, then I have to go through and select each table individually--much less efficient use of my time. If I don't do that, and just back up the entire "all-in-one" database, then I have to pull out individual tables to restore (should something go wrong). If I don't, I risk overwriting new data in the other tables (which have been active during my maintenance time) with old data from my week-old backup.

When I'm developing a new project, I create a fresh database for it. Quite often, the data I have is just bogus filler. So when I'm done creating the project, I can just nuke the whole DB and do a clean install on the live site.

Saying "put all your data in one database" is like saying "put all your clothes in one drawer" or "put all your screws in one bucket". It's messy and inefficient.
    M Blaze Miskulin
    President
    Geek Niche Web Hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of database. Is it mySQL? Because yo ucan use different tables in one mySQL database?
    HostColor.com
    Colocation | Dedicated Servers | VPS Hosting
    Web hosting provider since 2000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fcolor View Post
    What kind of database. Is it mySQL? Because yo ucan use different tables in one mySQL database?
    multiple database will come in handy. And make the database well organised.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you plan your database well, you need to have only one database......cant see whats the problem with that?

although hosting cos usually provide more than one nowadays....
    Try reliable web hosting service provided by MarbleHost.com.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fcolor View Post
    any database for that matter will do that.....
    Try reliable web hosting service provided by MarbleHost.com.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

While it may be true that 1 database is often not enough, it is also true that (in our case at least) most customers don't need/or use databases. And... Many hosts will likely dole out extra databases if it means keeping you as a customer. Just ask!

Same deal with email accounts...

Nick
    Mediast | www.mediast.com | Toll free: 1-800-883-7216

Shared & Dedicated Hosting: 100% Uptime Guaranteed!