SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm about to launch my new Active Server Page and a little touch of general Web development site, and I want it to be popular from the start.

Where do you guys think I should advertise it (mostly free would be better), where should I reciprocal link, and what other methods should I use and where? I've been thinking of asking 4GuysFromRolla.com to notify their visitors in some way or another--they seem pretty good about that and they know me a tiny bit.

Also, Aspin.com (think ASP's cgi-resources.com) posted a notice about the new Dallas ASP developer site; maybe they'd do the same for me.

When I launched my old site, it started out as a site with no content but one poorly-written article, now it has more than 1k page views per day but I feel that after a year it should be doing better. I don't want to make the same mistake with my new site (named Aspology) and just let people find it.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. It's supposed to be launched on July 1.

------------------
    Who the heck is Gen. Failure and why does he want to read my hard drive?
    Soon to come: Aspology.com

[This message has been edited by d3v (edited May 23, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quinn,

Obviously other ASP-related/web programming sites would be the way to go! You can always advertise with me when my site opens, too.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Under Construction!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>Have a contest of some sort.
    <LI>If you have some pre-made scripts then put them into the different indexes.
    <LI>Join discussion forums in the related subject and add a nice signature. Post as often as possible.
    <LI>Offer free advice and script help.
    <LI>Add people to your own personal list of contacts.
    <LI>Contribute to other sites.
    <LI>Send emails to webmasters of sites that helped you out.. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Hi, My name is .... and I am opening a site at www.domain.com. The information contained in your site was crucial to getting my own site up and running.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Testimonials work two ways.
    </UL>

All I could think of right now.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice, guys.

About the contest...
    Wouldn't it make sense to ask a component developer or an ASP book publisher to donate one (or more) of their products to me and I'd raffle them off; the winner would get the product and the company would get recognition. I've thought of asking Wrox Press and ServerObjects...does anyone know of anyone else who'd benefit from a raffle of their product?

I plan to put my Amazon.com book script into Aspin.com and get visitors from there. You pass the ASIN in the querystring and it redirects you, or redirects you to amazon.com home if there is no querystring, but it helps affiliates by not showing the giveaway amazon.com URL.

IMHO, aspmessageboard.com doesn't cater to a community setting nearly as much as UBBs (this one in particular) do. I'll hope that I'll get plenty of clickthrus on my sig in these forums, though

Good point about testimonials; it was mentioned in InternetDay a few weeks ago and I guess I forgot. I just hope that no one catches on to my plot!

As for Chris' comments, good idea. I imagine we'll talk to eachother on MSN Messenger before your site launches, maybe a reciprocal link is in our future?

Thanks for all of your ideas, both of ya!

------------------

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want I can forward you an ASP discussion board script that looks and feels a lot like UBB. Its open source and you can do whatever changes you want.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I know of what you're talking about. I've decided not to use any community software until I am sure I have a solid user base, after all it looks _really_ bad to have 3 posts, all by 'qslack' But thanks for the offer!

------------------

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an idea.

You said that FourthDev.com gets over 1000 pageviews/day? So, why not sign up for a couple of button/banner exchanges and earn credits that you can use to promote ASPology.

Here are a couple of good links: http://echodev.com/services/exchange/ http://webmasterexchange.com/

Boris

------------------
    Echo Web: The Web Developer's Starting Point
    http://echodev.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the idea, but I've lost the template files to Fourthdev and updating each of 200 pages manually would take me days.