User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ruby console access Mysql?

Hi all,

Can find a post in regard to my problem.

Basically Im following the BYORORWA book and im stuck on chapter 4 P101. I can do the following:

class Story < ActiveRecord::Base; end

BUT, when I enter story = Story.new I get the following error.
    Mysql::Error: #28000Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/active_record/vendor/mysql.rb:523:in `read'
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/active_record/vendor/mysql.rb:153:in `real_connect'
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:389:in `connect'
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:152:in `initialize'
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:82:in `new'
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:82:in `mysql_connection'
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:262:in `send'
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:262:in `connection_without_query_cache='
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/active_record/query_cache.rb:54:in `connection='
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:230:in `retrieve_connection'
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:78:in `connection'
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/active_record/base.rb:763:in `columns'
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/active_record/base.rb:2060:in `attributes_from_column_definition_without_lock'
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/active_record/locking/optimistic.rb:45:in `attributes_from_column_definition'
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/active_record/base.rb:1502:in `initialize_without_callbacks'
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.15.3/lib/active_record/callbacks.rb:225:in `initialize'
    from (irb):45:in `new'
    from (irb):45>>

From the first line of code, the problem Im having is that, I can't access my Mysql.

How can I log into my MySql from Ruby?

PS. Ive checked everything and MySQL DB is running fine. Ive been able to create tables etc.

Harry.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi all, i found a work around.

remove the password for the root account.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two things I would suggest.

First, check that you have the password correctly defined in config/database.yml.

Second, you don't mention where or how you got to a Ruby console. It makes a difference where you do it as if you want to access objects defined within you Rails app, the console needs to know about the application.

The easiest way I find to access my Rail objects from a console is to open a shell or command window, navigate to the root of the application and then enter:

Code:
    $ script/console
    or on Windows

Code:
    ruby script/console
    This loads both a Ruby console and all the objects defined in your Rails application.

It's not good practice to leave root with no password.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi reggieb, your 100&#37; right, ive now correctly config'ed my database and managed to have a password running on my root account.

thanks.