SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my site

hi all i have a blog that i have had for six months and i was wondering if i should change some stuff on here to optimize it more and integrate the content more my website is http://et-news.blogspot.com/. Thanks for any help.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad, but...

Bad placement of Amazon links and what's with the white margins? Make them the same color as your background and it'll look more cohesive.

The title and tagline of your site should be more visible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should structure your content so it is more readable. All the "Click Here" and "Here is" text just clutter up the page.

Danny Darko
    Now Available Online
    Summary
    blah blah blah
    more...
    Review
    blah blah blah
    more...
    Direct download 1 of 3
    Direct download 2 of 3
    Direct download 3 of 3

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The layout is good, but the advertisements are a bit haotic placed all over the place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    design sux... try with wordpress...
    http://wordpress.org/

SitePoint Enthusiast arthurakay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you simply have too much going on...

The first thing I see when opening your blog are the Amazon ads... followed directly by an ad for "The Office" on NBC. This doesn't bode well for your content. Visitors come to read your blog, not see advertisements.

There are also a ton of pictures and videos... I feel like I'm going to seizure with so much to look at. You need to organize this in a way that isn't so distracting.

I actually find the color scheme a little harsh on the eyes. I would make the contrast a little less harsh (get a lighter background color) and change the color of your links (get rid of the ALL UPPER CASE LINKS too).

Also... why is all of your content taken from other sites? You have "Here is the review from..." or "Here is the summary from..." at least 9 times before I stopped looking. I don't think I saw a single thing written by you - why is anyone coming to your blog if not to hear what YOU have to say?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your font spacing / line heights are terrible on this site, the headers look so crammed together in Firefox 2.x. I'd also suggest making that orange color more yellowish. Cheers.
    Daryl Quenet, Web Developer / SEO Consultant
    Web Design Canada, Link Building 101, Dr MadCow's Web Portal

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also seeing the blog post titles with overlapping lines in IE6.

Rgds

Accelerator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah just a bit much going on....line spacing is the key.
    I know it is hard on a blog site but the phrase 'less is more' is also still very relevant.

good luck

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design does need work. You should try and decide on a better color scheme and then just read up on some traditional print design techniques. buy a book on the subject and invest 2 weeks into learning it. All of your publications from now on will be better if you do.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your content seems pretty good, but your design is too clustered and makes your work unreadable. Change your design ASAP and remove all the unnecessary bull and 1$ a month adverts.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FIrst off, if froze my Firefox browser. It was hung up fetching something from "img.youtube.com." After 5 minutes, it still hadn't finished, and I couldn't bring up any of the other tabs until I closed yours.

I agree with the others. There's just too much in there, and much of it isn't in any logical arrangement.

Right at the top, there's the box saying, "Want to see something scary? Must be over 18." My immediate reaction is, OK, so where is it? The first thing under it is about Balls of Fury.

Your links are way too wordy and redundant. "CLICK HERE IF YOU WANT TO READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW..." "CLICK HERE IF YOU WANT TO READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW..." Over and over and over. How about just having, "More..."????

Same goes for the "Here is..." over and over and over... "Here is... " "Here is..." "Here is the summary..." Better to just say, "Summary."

Every time I go to your page, it says, "Reading img.youtube.com" down in the Firefox status bar.

When I clicked on "HERE IS THE DIRECT DOWNLOAD FOR THE MOVIE 300." (whatever that is... downloading the whole movie, or what?) and all of the other movies, the Megavideo site said the file was unavailable.

I hope these comments sorta give you a feel for some of your website design issues.

Thanks,
    Osmigo

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a fan of "too much going on", but only IF you can control it. It just looks like gibberish here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd also recommend buying your own domain name; it will certainly give your website more credibility, since blogspot is quite often associated to spam sites.