SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Advantages of serializing objects in sessions?

I was playing around with objects and sessions today, and I noticed that an object can be directly stored into a session without having to manually serialize it, and it works perfectly fine. Why do so many people recommend serializing objects when they work fine without being serialized? Am I missing some important concept? Thanks in advance.

* I was using php 5.2

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chobo View Post
    Why do so many people recommend serializing objects when they work fine without being serialized?
    Because they don't know better.

I think some of the confusion stems from the fact, that PHP uses serialize to persist the session between requests. This means that a lot of places in the manual, serialize and sessions are mentioned together, and people just assume, that you need to do it manually.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remember that it is important to keep as little data in the session as possible. On each request that data must be requested, unserialized, objects instantiated/initialized, serialized, and stored (either filesystem, DB, or RAM).

It might not matter very much if the site or application is hosted on a single dedicated server with relatively low traffic but the above is very significant on clustered platforms with high traffic.