User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is reseller better than shared hosting?

Hi to all,

Can I have some opinions why reseller accounts are considered better than shared hosting accounts?

Both are the same, except that reseller manages each domain separately. Shared hosting is way much cheaper than a reseller, are there really big negatives which make them much cheaper?

If SEO and Adsense wise, there is a difference between shared and reseller, due to separate domain management in the reseller being favourable for SEO, I would go with reseller.

So far, I've done shared hosting, and using htaccess, had no problems setting up multiple sites in my shared account, which is a lot cheaper than any reseller account. Not sure how the search engines would treat my multiple sites....

Can anyone supply opinions? Are addon domains (in a shared hosting) - bad, since Cpanel actually treats them as subdomains? Many thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    reseller hosting is suitable when you want to create individual account for selling to different user. The cost mainly at the whm control panel and multiple cpanel.

if not require it, why pay more right?

i using shared hosting, and its seo well as well.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the difference in price/cost is a lot between both.

Still, many or most people do not get reseller accounts to sell webhosting.

If they do...which is very rare, its probably to sell to some really naive people or people who dont have credit card/paypal....etc.

$5-10 for 200 m/b bandwidth...

I forgot to mention that Cpanel is out with Cpanel 11, and I have heard that it works just like WHM, all separate domain management...which is so good

The best news I have heard in a while. But Cpanel 11 also has been out for a while already, so where are all the upgrades?

Hosts dont want to upgrade because they know, it will mean the end of reseller accounts and therefore they will end up with much less profits from people who previously wanted reseller; who can now buy a simple shared hosting for $5 that works just like any reseller account!!

Correct me, if I'm wrong. But looks like the Cpanel upgrades are not happening because of this reason. Every host is still sticking with Cpanel 10.

So I'm in a dilemma, if I get a reseller now, and my host finally upgrades my shared hosting, I'd have paid the extra price difference for nothing. Am I making sense?

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are reselling then you need to provide a control panel to your clients so they can operate their account. A reseller account provides this.

If you are not reselling then a regular shared hosting account with unlimited domains and hundreds of Gigabytes of space will meet all of your needs until you start getting extremely popular and need to upgrade to dedicated hosting.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's what I thought. But then I see a lot of people even newbies, in many forums going straight for the reseller account, even though they are just using them for their own domains.

Which got me thinking what do they know that I don't. Is there any huge benefit of a reseller as opposed to a normal shared hosting @$5 with unlimited addon domains allowed?

Any SEO benefits? I thought both reseller and shared are still using the same IP...

The normal price for shared hosting is $5-10 per month,

The normal price for resellers is $20-30 per month,

Thats a big difference there

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually you are wrong on several points here:

1) Most hosts (big one) don't upgrade to cpanel 11 as the current stable version is 10.9.1. Going for something that is not stable is a huge risk to the company and it's clients as there might be bugs and security issues that haven't been solved.

2) Resellers are more expensive than shared accounts because hosts expect resellers to use almost all of what they bought, unlike shared customers who use just a lot less (on average)

3) From the SEO point of view there is no difference. For SEO you need different IPs and that's just about it.
    ►File Services◄
    Premium High Bandwidth File Hosting

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2) Resellers are more expensive than shared accounts because hosts expect resellers to use almost all of what they bought, unlike shared customers who use just a lot less (on average)
    I second that point of view. The level of overselling that can be sustainable in shared hosting, is quite a bit higher than the one that can be employed when providing reseller hosting. There might also be a difference with regard to the amount of support a reseller requires. Not all resellers are the same, some are more, some are less knowledgeable. With the latter, most questions that the end users ask will basically be forwarded to the provider up the chain.

But then I see a lot of people even newbies, in many forums going straight for the reseller account, even though they are just using them for their own domains.
    If you have lots of domains, addon domains can become cumbersome, unorganized. A reseller account can work better in such situations.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reseller is much better but shared is cheaper..!!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally there are less reseller accounts on a server than shared accounts, so, you get better performance, but, it is more expensive. If you get a good shared account you should be fine. The next stage after that is vps.
    Fanatical Host
    THE one stop shop for budget hosting
    24/7 Support | 99.5% uptime
    shared | reseller | dedicated

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    using reseller plans to host one's own domains can turn out be more expensive than it seems.....go for a shared hosting...turns out to be quite cheaper....
    Try reliable web hosting service provided by MarbleHost.com.