User Tag List

derrrp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mass File Upload and Server Browsing

Hi all,

I'm working with an existing client that wants to change how their site works.
    They deal with land and have a property management side to their site.

They want to be able to upload a folder's worth of files (multiple files) all at once. Once those files are on the server, they want to be able to select those files and assign them to a property.

I've figured out how to list files in a specific folder and am pondering just listing them in a drop-down select menu to pick from. What are some better alternatives.

Also, is there a better way than FTP for them to upload a bunch of files at once?

Thanks for suggestions!
    No, I REALLY dislike having to use Joomla.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why make it two steps? Have them select the property they want to assign their folder of pictures to at upload time. Then have them upload a zip of all the pictures (preferably without folders inside the zip, just the images). Unzip it in a temporary directory, record all the filenames and do whatever processing you need to do with images, the move them to their permanent location.

derrrp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These aren't necessarily pictures, but general documents/files that may be assigned to more than one property.

They want all the files already on the server so they can pick from them in any property's edit page, not upload a handful of files here or there depending on what property they're editing.
    No, I REALLY dislike having to use Joomla.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, well, that's not how I read it. You can still have them upload zip files if FTP is a problem. Otherwise your next best bet is a Java applet.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make checkboxes next to each file, have buttons to move them to a different folder, use ajax to move it.

I believe the only way to upload multiple files is with multiple <input type='file'>, can't multi-select them.

Not unless you have Java.