SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Mass E-mail

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mass E-mail

What is the best way of sending out 16,000 personalised e-mails without killing my server?

Also, should I be wary of my hosts restrictions? I have a server on ThePlanet. Would it cause problems if I sent out 16,000 emails in one go?
    michael.Crabbe

Grumpy Minimalist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that there are other e-mail servers between yours and the destination; and most of them will probably block and blacklist you if you send this many e-mails in bulk. Today's internet is very hostile towards bulk e-mail simply because of the spam problem.

You may consider creating a cron job to trickle out your e-mails over a certain period of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, any suggestions on a period/frequency? I really have no idea.

So how do all these sites send out newsletters to similar numbers of subscribers?
    michael.Crabbe

Grumpy Minimalist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all depends on what kind of restrictions your host has on bulk e-mails. You can check their policy, if it exists. Otherwise, it will mostly come down to experimentation. You may consider sending out the e-mails over a few hours, which would come down to something such as: one e-mail with 20 BCCs every 30s = 7 hours / 16000 e-mails. Of course, this also depends on how frequently you need to send out your newsletter. If you only send out the newsletter once a month, you may consider slowing the trickle to around a 24 hour range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From experience, Yahoo seem to start bouncing emails after you send x mails in y minutes.

How are llarge lists sent? There are companies, like NetAtlantic and Lyris who will do the sending for you ... they have their servers whitelistsed with the major ISPs and will guarantee delivery to the recipients inbox, not the "bulk" folder.

Presumably, for them to take your list they need some sort of guarantee that your list is properly obtained, for example double opt-in.

If you have a dedicated server from the planet, there will be no problem sending bulk emails provided: 1) your bandwidth allocation is not exceeded; 2) you are not sending spam.

I have found sending mails to be surprisingly processor intensive. On a shared server you are likely to have your account suspended for excessive load. On your own dedicated box, it is only your stuff that is running on the box, so you make the decision how much load is acceptable.

One thing I have considered, but never implemented is sending the emails out at a similar time to when the person signed up at the site, or at a given hour in their time zone.

Mike