SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have any of you ever done a direct credit card payment implementation successfully?

just wondering if achieving an online payment setup on a web site that uses direct credit card payment (not paypal etc.) is even remotely, slightly within my grasp/realm of possibility? my new client is an already established shop, so already has credit card payment necessaries, but (a) obviously there's a lot more required, and (b) i've just learnt that that already existing c.c. receving payments account is probably no good for this -- another one is needed.

i'm finding this most depressing. just wondering if anyone has successfully implemented an online payment scheme that allows direct c.c. payment? how hard was it? is there anyway to allow the seller to, in the end, handle the payment just as they would as if the customer was in the shop -- no different?; rather than some incredably intricate, complicated on the server thing? probably not, just trying desperately to see a way of doing this.

i've done a search on amazon looking for a book which would help (that is tell me how to implement it) in doing this (preferably with php) but can't see anything good. any book suggestions for this?

any suggestions of any kind what so ever? i know there's paypal etc. and at the moment i guess that's what it has to be (or some other such 3rd party set up) but i thought seeing as this shop i'm doing a site for already have c.c. receiving necessaries it might be poossible to take advantage of that. for me, allowing the customer to pay directly rather than rely on paypal is most desireable.

:/

thanks.
    Last edited by johnyboy; Jul 5, 2007 at 04:02.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to contact some bank perhaps the one they are already using to setup a gateway merchant account. Thats what I know of it.

Now you cannot just use any server. You must have a dedicated server all around, database and all. You must have an SSL connection and certificate. It can get really complicated thats why most go with a third-party like PayPal. They have everything setup to securely receive such sensitive data.

So I would look into setting up a pro account with PayPal and using there API. But thats just me
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup even though they already have a merhant account accepting c.c. payments directly via the net doesn't look feasible right now. a real shame imo. paypal it has to be i suppose. that's really got me down that has -- i feel beaten! oh well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    doesn't sitepoint use some kindof embedded worldpay payment system where you don't seem to actually leave sitepoint.com? Your not the only one who resents merchant fees from paypal but I guess there wide acceptance makes it worthwhile.
    Studiotime - Time Management for Web Developers
    to-do's, messages, invoicing, reporting - 30 day free trial!
    Thomas Multimedia Web Development

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done it. It wasn't that difficult, you just have to get all the pieces in place.

Yes, you need a SSL certificate and a host that will support it. We got ours at http://www.instantssl.com/

You will need an online gateway--talk to the bank that provides your client's merchant account. Once that's taken care of they should be able to provide you with the details on how to interface with it.

You'll code your payment processing scripts and verify that they connect to the gateway and process correctly by using some test cases that will be provided to you. Once you script can send the test data correctly and receive the correct test answers back, you'll send those answers in and be granted access to the real gateway.