SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    SitePoint Wizard Bill Posters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    low memory error on publish (Flash 4 & 5)

    Firstly let me just say that I am only one or two steps ahead of a complete beginnger with Flash.

    I use it so little and so basically that I do most of the very few things I do using Flash 4 (though have had Flash 5 since released)

    Anywho, I'm having a problem publishing a mid-sized swf.

    It contains three buttons that each call a sound piece (3 x 1 minute aif files set to be MP3d on publish).
    The total is about 450k when all three are published as separate swfs.

    I am now ready to publish and it's stopping shortly into the publish procedure and telling me that it is low on memory and cannot publish as a result.

    I have tried bumping up the memory to stupid levels (blessed with lots of RAM), but Flash 4 still gives me the low memory errors.
    It is also not using all the RAM allocated so I'm guessing that memory is *not* really the problem at all.

    I tried it in Flash 5 (with ramped up memory allocation) and got a little further (it seemed) but then still gave me the low memory error.

    Any ideas what I can do to get this pesky thing published?
    Any ideas what is likely to be causing the problem?

    It's the last item for my folio site and I just wanna get the thing laid to bed asap.

    TIA.
    New Plastic Arts: Visual Communication | DesignateOnline

    Mate went to NY and all he got me was this lousy signature

  2. #2
    SitePoint Wizard Bill Posters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nevermind, panic over

    I think maybe my Mac just needed a rest or something.

    I tried it again this morning using Flash 5 and it published ok.

    Mind you, it could have been the 300MB of RAM I allocated for it

    I still wouldn't mind knowing if this sounds familiar to anyone here and if they know anything more specific about what might cause it.

    (p.s. can someone post here if they see my sig or not? I don't see it, yet I set it to be shown when I wrote this post)
    New Plastic Arts: Visual Communication | DesignateOnline

    Mate went to NY and all he got me was this lousy signature

  3. #3
    SitePoint Wizard Bill Posters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did I say panic over? What I meant to say was...

    AAARRRGGGHHHH!!DAMMIT!!FEK!!FEK!!FEKK!!

    I made a few tweaks to the vector content and now it once again won't publish.

    I've updated to 5.0a (a? wtf?) and I'm giving it 380MB, but the fekker still 'runs low on memory'.

    I have the memory usage panel in the bg and I watch Flash's row jump upwards in 50MB chunks until it maxes out and gives me a no-can-do message.

    I have swapped out the 3 aifs for 3 mp3s (5MB each > 240K each) (though the filesize of the fla hasn't gone down at all) thinking it may have been the compression causing a memory leak.

    But no, fekker still isn't fekking publishing, fek fek.

    So, now- what the fek do I fekkin do?

    I need this fekkin file fekkin published so I can finish my fekkin website.
    But macrofekkinmeida don't make a usable piece of fekkin software.

    Anyone- ANYONE have any advice as to what I can do to get this published?
    With the mp3s the used library items only come to about 700K and yet it apparently needs over 400MB to publish it.
    How do I 'flush out' the memory of the old aif files? (The fla is still 19MB dispite the fact I have removed the aifs.)

    HEEELLLPPP!!!

    p.s. FEK!

    p.p.s DOUBLE FEK!!
    New Plastic Arts: Visual Communication | DesignateOnline

    Mate went to NY and all he got me was this lousy signature

  4. #4
    SitePoint Wizard Bill Posters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got it to publish by adding some virtual memory and giving Flash 850MB.

    Not the ideal solution, but a solution all the same.

    <sarcasm>
    p.s. thanks for the feedback all. Good to see this new Flash forum thread is really working out well.
    </sarcasm>
    New Plastic Arts: Visual Communication | DesignateOnline

    Mate went to NY and all he got me was this lousy signature

  5. #5
    Pixel Junkie flux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Brussels Belgium
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry for that Bill, but it seemed (in your second post) like you figured out a solution yourself...not a lot of people will look twice at a thread where (they think) the problem is solved...

    ps. I was snowboarding last week so no SP for me
    pps. I'm sure a lot of people find this Flash/Actioncript Forum really useful

  6. #6
    SitePoint Wizard Bill Posters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries, flux. Sorry for going 'into one'.

    The 'episode' just got me a little panicked and cranky.
    Nothing really meant by it.



    Temporarily restarting wih virtual memory turned on (=1.2GB total memory) seems to be reliable enough to be my long term solution


    Thx & sorry & thx
    New Plastic Arts: Visual Communication | DesignateOnline

    Mate went to NY and all he got me was this lousy signature


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •