Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Fitness Forum

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramone_johnny View Post
    Hey mate, Ive been involved in weightlifting for 11 years so I thought Id comment.

Firstly, what makes this site different to other similiar sites? How do you intend on drawing traffic? First intention was, and please dont take offence is .."oh another forum..."

Perhaps you should try to break it up somehow, have more of a traditional home page, create some stand alone articles and branch the forum off as another feature of the site.

Also, I didnt see a category for steriods? Any reason for this? I think, whilst many may disagree, is that when body builders and weightlifters, in particular, those just starting out, are after information such as this, they want to be able to do it anonomously. Therefore, forums work for perfectly for this. Maybe youre dead against the idea, but something to consider anyway.

Your main menus up the top are really small - you might want to think about making them larger. My eyesite isnt the best and I find them quite difficult to read. Not sure about your chosen colours either - the light blue is really hard to grasp - then again could just be me!

Best of luck mate!

RJ
    Thank you very much for your review.

Yes well we are trying to be different in some ways, but let me ask you, how could we be different from other fitness forums and not have the "oh another forum" scenario ?, any ideas?

Yes we are most likely going to fix the navbar image links and make them bigger alot of people have been saying the same thing.

About the steroids, we are a all natural steroid free community and don't want to push these sort of things, we will most definitely answer those who ask about steroids and tell them our thoughts on them.

Again thanks

All reviews are greatly appreciated

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just visited your forum site. its good and professionally designed with syndicate button and ads on sidepanel... nice customization...

Your main menus can be made bold or bigger.

Footer can be revised to give a better look to the side.

Photos on top can be made random / rotate as regular visitors will like it...

Keep it up. thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast arthurakay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it looks good... though it looks just like every other forum using vBulletin. I don't know what the software agreement is with them, but I get tired of seeing what looks like the same forum over and over again. Maybe get some new icons, change the font... something.

I think ramone_johnny has a good point... make your homepage more friendly than just a listing of a gazillion message boards. It could make this easier to read.

I really like the ability to add the RSS feed to any number of sites (Google, Yahoo, etc). Great job with that.

I also like the contests forum, but there should be more in it.

It might also be cool to have a download-able template (PDF?) of some kind for tracking one's workout goals. As someone who frequents the gym, I carry a notebook to track my progress. People new to exercise might look for a way to get started. Just an idea.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome thanks to the last two posts, these are some great ideas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-S View Post
    very nice
    Thank you very much

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    p.s. we have also now added fitness blogs to the site so users can have their own blogs

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not an expert on forums by any means, however to me it seems like it would make more sense to start off with fewer sections and then as the forum grows add more. for instancemaybe start off with just one diet and nutrition section versus 4 or 5

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cstegner View Post
    I am not an expert on forums by any means, however to me it seems like it would make more sense to start off with fewer sections and then as the forum grows add more. for instancemaybe start off with just one diet and nutrition section versus 4 or 5
    Thank you we have made the forums shorter and have re-organized them, how are they now?

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We made a couple updates with the nav + added blogs feature + better hosting, what do you guys think?

SitePoint Evangelist bradical1379's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using vbseo?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bradical1379 View Post
    Are you using vbseo?
    Yup

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, I think you need to increase the button text at the top. It would be cool to have keywords along the side of the site such as some blogs of different popular keywords and users can click them to see topics under that niche. because fitness is a wide range but their should be some distinct sections for niche parts of the category.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the header very clean very professional looking

I like the blue color throughout but perhaps you could reduce the shad a little bit.

The forum presentation is pretty standard stuff you purchase the vBulletin software modify it a litlle and let it do its work.

I find perhaps having your own homepage with not so much information can help without leading into the forum immediately.

Ease the user into the mass of information that is ahead

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great blog, I really like it a lot!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for all the feedback

SitePoint Evangelist bradical1379's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simply101 View Post
    Yup
    How is it working out for you?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that it's working very well for us, remember a good successful forum is mostly about a lot of good content so...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only negative comment is that the main navigation at the top left is not as clear as it should be. It does look a little hard to read, and no im not 60+ so I guess others might have the same problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I like the coulours. Blues are always easy on the eyes. My suggestion would be to decrease the logo size and maybe create a full width banner on a bluish background. That should fit your theme better.

Also increase your font size in your main navigation menu. It's really difficult to read.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when i first loaded the site i had no idea what to look at. It is very busy. I find it hard to look past the blue gradient backgrounds on the category's.

Also, remember that although light colors often attract the users attention first, in your case the dark blue you used is much more vibrant than the light blue, which is quite faded. This results in forums really jumping out at you, and the navigation is in the background. This is not helped by the small nav bar. Really you want the user to see you logo, then the navigation, then the content.

Oh, also - there is just too much blue. I know you need colors that work well together, but find other colors that complement (and balance) the blue. Look up a color wheel, it's always safe to use three colors next to each other on the color wheel, and balance it out with the colors directly opposite to those colors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might run into some copyright issues regarding your bodybuilders images, those are known champions, not just any muscled up guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the steroids, we are a all natural steroid free community and don't want to push these sort of things, we will most definitely answer those who ask about steroids and tell them our thoughts on them.
    So then, put images of steroid free people, not users of 'roids and Growth Hormone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, also - there is just too much blue. I know you need colors that work well together, but find other colors that complement (and balance) the blue. Look up a color wheel, it's always safe to use three colors next to each other on the color wheel, and balance it out with the colors directly opposite to those colors.
    C0mrade001 is right!

Congrats on "building" a community, implementing a forum is extremely hard nowadays, you did a great job! Fixing colors and layout is quite easy.

You might want to put ads below your images, just make sure you put a clear separator (box, line, or change in background) in between so it don 't break TOS's.

Wishing you growth and success.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay thanks everyone, we have fixed the header a bit as well as changed a few colors here and their, what do you think of it now?

We are working on fixing the navbar like you have all said and trying to come up with ideas on what to do.