User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Domain Records Question

Hope this is the right place for this-

I have been having problems with my current host (GoDaddy), they only allow 50 simultanious connections at one time and unfortunately my site has been a victim of an exploited program they offer - Aardvark Topsites where a few sites have developed a way to exceute small scaled DoS attacks to sites operating this program. GoDaddy has been trying to block these sites with htaccess files but have had no sucess. Very long story so to my question,

My domain name is registered with GoDaddy, and my hosting is with them. My email is forwarded to Google Apps through the CName and MX records which GoDaddy doesnt like either.

If I cancel my hosting account with them my email should still be ok shouldnt it? Since the place the email is directed to is in the domain name records not in the hosting. Ive asked GoDaddy as well and I think the email should still work but GoDaddy has a way of tying products together so you have to renew them as " a set" instead of being able to renew products individually. I dont use the GoDaddy email so I think it sohuld be ok even if they do cancel my hosting account and email since the email is really hendled by Google..

Hope this make sense

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, DNS records (those CName and MX entries) are stored on your hosting server, not somehow in the domain. The two nameservers you set at the registrar for a domain tell everyone what server actually holds the DNS records. Turn off the GoDaddy hosting, and you emails will stop arriving at Google.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    No, DNS records (those CName and MX entries) are stored on your hosting server, not somehow in the domain. The two nameservers you set at the registrar for a domain tell everyone what server actually holds the DNS records. Turn off the GoDaddy hosting, and you emails will stop arriving at Google.

Are you sure about that?

I thought the DNS servers were for the WWW end of things.
    My domain name registrar is also GoDaddy, but in the control panel the MX records are seperate from the DNS servers.

GoDaddy also told me that if i modified the MX records and switched them to Google Apps servers that my email wouldnt work at all, that their servers didnt support it.

Even though thats what they told me Ive been using Google Apps for almost 2 years now and it works fine. In fact I was on the phone with them when they told me. The lady said-

"My top senior server technician just told me that you cant use your MX record to forward to Google Apps for email, it wont work."

While I was talking to her I was sending and receiving email. So Im wondering if it may be possible.

Isnt it possible to have your www working on one server and your email on another? thats they way Ive been doing it the last 2 years. I thought the DNS and MX records were with the registrar not the hosting company. Any hosting company can add your domain name to their server but it wont work until you point the DNS at it.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I'm sure.

You point your nameservers to the hosting company so that everyone else in the world knows what server to ask for the rest of the records. The MX record is stored on the hosting company's server, but can point anywhere, including Google Apps.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I understand the first part, the DNS you have to change with the registrar to point to the right server that is hosting your site.

And in a default setting the MX record will follow the DNS.

On GoDaddy though my MX record is part of the domain name records, not the hosting.

So I cant just change the DNS servers and leave the MX records still pointing to Google?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you didn't have GoDaddy hosting, you would not have any place to edit the MX records. It's not part of the domain management interface at GoDaddy unless they're managing your DNS. I have more than 100 domains there; it's not in my interface, as it can't possibly be.

If you change the nameservers on the domain to point to a new host, then everyone else in the world that tries to route mail to your domain will get the MX record from the new host (like the nameservers tell them to), and the mail will not go to Google.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you didn't have GoDaddy hosting, you would not have any place to edit the MX records. It's not part of the domain management interface at GoDaddy unless they're managing your DNS. I have more than 100 domains there; it's not in my interface, as it can't possibly be.

If you change the nameservers on the domain to point to a new host, then everyone else in the world that tries to route mail to your domain will get the MX record from the new host (like the nameservers tell them to), and the mail will not go to Google.
    You should, however, be able to change the MX records at your new host to point to an external email provider.
    Peace,
    Gene Steinberg
    www.theparacast.com
    The foregoing comment has been censored by WHT.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a web server and a DNS server. Though in this day and age the host usually runs both for its customers, it is possible to use a separate DNS service (check zoneedit.com and other similar services).

You're definitely right. As a solution though, couldn't he (or his new host) setup the MX record properly at the new DNS server before changing the nameservers?
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats strange, where I changed my MX record is in the domain name management not in the hosting. If I log into my account I go to My Domain Names, then my domain name is shown, then I click on the name and it takes me to a more detailed page where I can change the DNS servers, or choose total DNS control where you can edit the MX record.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyW View Post
    Thats strange, where I changed my MX record is in the domain name management not in the hosting. If I log into my account I go to My Domain Names, then my domain name is shown, then I click on the name and it takes me to a more detailed page where I can change the DNS servers, or choose total DNS control where you can edit the MX record.
    Total DNS Control is only available to you because your nameservers are pointed to GoDaddy.