User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best PHP5 Framework

We’re re-building our web development solution for multiple projects from the ground up and we’d like to know your thoughts on which is the best future-proof, tried and tested PHP5 framework out there.

We want something that’s very flexible, OOP based and Ajax happy. Anything that comes with things like CMS components (or class libs) to make development quicker is a massive bonus also, though we’ve various in-house bespoke CMS systems we’ll need to integrate too.

As ever, whilst we could just go ahead and try a few out [and are doing] it’s going to save us an awful lot of testing time/fumbling about if there are some of you out there who’ve had the chance to work with these frameworks to know which is the best! If that’s you or you have any comments on this please post.

Here are some we’re definitely looking at:
    http://seagullproject.org/
    http://codeigniter.com/
    http://framework.zend.com/

Also is there anything missing from our list of best players above? (apart from CakePHP)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of CI I'd strongly suggest you take a look at:
    http://kohanaphp.com/

Kohana is a community driven offset of the current version of CodeIgniter (1.53) -- The reason was we had numerous bugs / improvements we had all posted in the CI forums and saw little support or action from the author. So Kohana came to solve the problems we had found in CodeIgniter.

¬.¬ shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you wanted a PHP5 only support framework (works only on PHP5) then Zend is the one I know of that is.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like the zend framework is more of a code library an implicit rapid development framework which is good as it brings power ans features but will allow intergration with other existing web apps etc.

Our best solution at the present time probably lies in a mix of ZF and the use of a robust/flexible-as-possible rapid development framework where appropriate.

Does anybody use the Zend Framework along-side any of the rapid development frameworks like Seagull/CodeIgniter/Symphony? Would be good to get to the bottom of which 'compliments'/works along-side the ZF most effectively - whilst allowing for at least some flexibility within the site structure?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wgrange View Post
    We want something that’s very flexible, OOP based and Ajax happy.
    Then you should definitely try NCZOnline and the downloads.

What about Pear?

I also find SPLIB that follows with Harry Fuecks books "The PHP Anthology: Object Oriented PHP Solutions" valuable.

You should get the last version of volume II that is out soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Zend and love it - it's flexible, it's powerful, but it doesn't get in my way: I can build my apps the way I want them from the ground up, with no annoying "I'll do this part for you in a way you don't like". I'm a bit of a control freak, so I like it that way.

My coworker in the next cubicle loves Symphony because it has all the features of a good framework, but if you design your database the right way it will build AJAX-y views for you so you have a functional site seconds after you design and implement your database schema.

Of course, Symphony's views never match what you want them to look like, so he spends at least as much time making them look the way he wants as I do building my views from the ground up in ZF.

As far as the learning curve is concerned, I came into ZF with a solid understanding of and experience with OOP but only the tiniest grasp of MVC, and no experience whatsoever of the latter. I was up and running with ZF in just a couple of days (the documentation isn't the greatest, but once you get used to it and have a good understanding of the basics it's adequate), while it took my coworker (who has similar experience as I do) almost two full weeks to get to the same point with Symphony. Learning styles probably affect that greatly, and I've always been a very fast learner, so take it with a grain of salt.
    PHP questions? RTFM
    MySQL questions? RTFM

SitePoint Member programmer_php's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    codeigniter is light waight framework. I strongly recommend CI..rather than zend

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using Kohana for a few recent projects and would highly recommend it - lightweight, strict OOP PHP5 framework and with a very knowledgeable community. Gallery3 has just been built using Kohana. Yii also looks pretty good although haven't dabbled with that yet.

EDIT: oops had no idea how old this thread was!

does not play well with others frezno's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guys, this thread is two years old and many threads about Frameworks have been posted in bewteen this period.
    We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.
    I'm Pentium of Borg.Division is futile.Prepare to be approximated.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Symfony, then codeignitor at a distant second. Others worth mentioning are Zend and CakePHP.

EDIT... My bad, I didn't see the date on this before posting!
    Merchant Equipment Store - Merchant Services, POS, Equipment, and supplies.
    Merchant Account Blog | Ecommerce Blog