User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alter table a add b after c

Hello,

In mysql, we can add a new column to a table after a specific column, eg: ALTER TABLE table_a ADD column_b int(11) AFTER column_a, what's the equivalent syntax in postgresql?

Thanks

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Column position it totally irrelevant. You retrieve and insert data via a query and the order in the query is all that matters.

you could have a table where the order the columns was created was lastname ID address firstname state teleno address
    It would have no effect on how you inserted/retrieved data, as your query controls that.

eg select firstname, lastname, telno, state from strangetable.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr John View Post
    Column position it totally irrelevant. You retrieve and insert data via a query and the order in the query is all that matters.

you could have a table where the order the columns was created was lastname ID address firstname state teleno address
    It would have no effect on how you inserted/retrieved data, as your query controls that.

eg select firstname, lastname, telno, state from strangetable.
    Thanks, I know that the order of column is irrelevant. I just want to group similar fields together.

reads the ********* Crier silver trophybronze trophy longneck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in mysql, you can specify the column order. i don't think it's possible in pgsql, but i'm on my way out the door and i don't have to time to check the manual for you.