SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photoshop or Illustrator?

I'm thinking of purchasing some graphic design software, but I'm stuck between Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. Which should I choose for web graphic design? What are the differences between the two?

Thanks.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photoshop and Illustrator are DIFFERENT, please let's not tar them with the same brush.

I suggest if you can afford it to get both, let me give you an example of how I would use them.

I might want to design a logo for my website. I would first use Illustrator for the basic shape/lines. Once I was happy with that I would import it into Photoshop and add color, depth, texture. I would also use Photoshop to add text as I prefer that to they way Illustrator handles it.

Maybe you shoudl try and get trails for both and have a little play with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find photoshop gives a bit more freedom in terms of design...

But as Nicky said they really are designed for differeent uses (you need to right tool for the right job )

Illustrator is prodomonantly used for vector and print work... while photoshop is used for web and "screen" type media. Although the two programs cross over a little (ie. photoshop does some vector stuff like text and ilustrator allows you to do some bitmap stuff)...

I'd suggest photoshop.. you'll use that much more that illustrator (although both would be handy)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS --- Illustrator is used for other tasks. I use PS to create, design and edit images. I use Illustrator to develop, design, tweak and manipulate custom graphics or I should say logos/documents.

Hope it works out for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i would be more inclined to go with photoshop, and perhaps look at getting something like fireworks or paintshop pro (both cheeper then illustrator and both support vector images)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solely webdesign? Then I would go for Adobe Photoshop, version 6.0 has Vector Tools as well to get a complicated shape but I find them not as great as the ones included in Illustrator 9.
    Jeroen Mulder

w: www.jeroenmulder.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with JMulder ! I would go for Photoshop as well ! It's the best for webdesign !
    Visit my online portfolio : here

Web [ 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 ] /// Flash [ 1 - 2 - 3 ]
    Headers [ Collection ] /// Logo's [ Collection ]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your concerned with price, I would go with Paint Shop Pro...

However, like many people have already said, Photoshop and Illistrator are 2 differnt programs. But I can't live without either. I use Ill to create my shapes and vectors then import them into PS to color and texture them. If I had to pick one, and it had to be between the two, I would say PS 6. It's fantastic and you can get away with alot more in it by itself than you could in Ill by itself.
    Chrispian H. Burks
    Nothing To Say

Not a post-script error?!! guysmy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Illustrator almost requires that you know the ins and out of Photoshop.
    --++
    Learn Photoshop FIRST.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who doesn't have Illustrator, I'd agree, go with Photoshop. For the majority of things, I think you'll find that PS can do most of what Illustrator can do, albeit with a little more effort.

One little point I'd like to make is that Photoshop is not just for the Web design -- it's for print, too. In fact, that was it's original purpose! :-)

~~Hope This Helps