SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Contest Holders Not Paying

Hello,

I have been a member of SitePoint for some time now and still love it as much as I did the first time I found it. I try to help out the new designers and enter the odd contest every now and then.

However, so far out of the 3 contests I have entered this month, only 1 has decided to declare a winner or pay the winner. Now to me, this doesn't seem very fair. Designers put a lot of hard work into their layouts and I for one work my *** off to make sure every line is aligned and every image is where it should be down to the pixel, but when I see that weeks pass after the deadline and a winner still hasn't been chosen it's very dissapointing.

My feedback would have to be that SitePoint should focus on this issue a little more because it has become quite frequent as of this year. Maybe new measures should be taken beforehand(sort of like an escrow program) to ensure payment.

Egh, just a suggestion...

Best regards,
    Luc
    WebTouchUp.com
    Website touch-ups at flat rates! 64 hour turn-around time!
    Why get a re-design when you can get an upgrade?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This comes up rather often, and as far as I know, nothing (within the foreseeable future) is going to change in how contests are run.

Some tips:
    1. Search the marketplace for the contest holder. Make sure he/she is a reliable CH.
    2. Don't spend hours on a template/logo. Pixel by pixel? That simply isn't needed. If you are submitting an image preview, it doesn't have to be that exact or precise. Save yourself some time/effort and only spend real time on a design there is a lot of competition.
    3. Sell your work in the marketplace. If you really spent time on it, and it is a good design, you should have a good chance at selling it.
    4. Reuse your design in another contest. Very useful, and gives you more time to perfect a design.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LucDeacu, firstly my personal sympathies are with you. Unfortunately there is a small percentage of people that will consciously attempt to exploit others.

Secondly, I can tell you a team of 5 developers have been working full time on a redeveloped marketplace for about two months now. I'm not part of the project, so I can't talk about specifics, but I can tell you this is a significant overhaul and one of the major motivations behind it was tackling these types of issues.

I'd love to be able to say the guys are deploying tomorrow, but I honestly don't know (they aren't here right now) but it can't be far away.

Thirdly, in the meantime jak3r's advice is pretty sound.
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, thanks a lot for the advice guys. It's great to know that you guys are noticing it and doing something about it! I can't wait for the new marketplace to come out, I'm sure it will solve a lot of the issues we are seeing today.

I hope the new designers and developers to SitePoint will not get discouraged by these contest holders.

Best regards,
    Luc
    WebTouchUp.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about having a deposit system whereby the CH puts up 1/2 the prize money to SitePoint and if they abandon the contest or otherwise don't select a winner, the forfeited money is split among the designers that entered?
    MrBaseball34
    Hook'Em Horns!

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Because sitepoint doesn't want to be an escrow service and I can't say I blame them.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can tell you that escrow systems are among the options being discussed at the moment.
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An escrow system would definetly do the trick. It's amazing how big SitePoint has become in these few years.
    WebTouchUp.com

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    An escrow system would definitely make the scammers' lives more difficult.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The finer details are still being sorted out, but one thing I can tell you is that new system will have a "I promise to declare a winner" checkbox for new Contests. Ticking this means your contest will be marked as such (so designers can filter based on that rule) and failing to declare a winner will result in an instant ban from sitepoint.com

We may also include a 50% escrow in this scenario -- the specifics are still being ironed out.
    Andrew Krespanis
    SitePoint Code Monkey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.k
    ...one thing I can tell you is that new system will have a "I promise to declare a winner" checkbox for new Contests. Ticking this means your contest will be marked as such (so designers can filter based on that rule) and failing to declare a winner will result in an instant ban from sitepoint.com
    Now Andrew, you had to know I'd see this statement and not be able to pass it by without a comment.

I have to ask: How does a checkbox motivate someone to pay? Beyond that, how is the threat of banning someone anything to be worried about? It hasn't bothered many contest holders thus far, probably because that rule is supposedly already on the books but is not enforced. Even if you enforce it, it won't do much. Only about 10% of CHs continue to use their username on SP after skipping out on a payment. Most disappear or sign up with a new username.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LucDeacu View Post
    However, so far out of the 3 contests I have entered this month, only 1 has decided to declare a winner or pay the winner...
    That actually sounds about right. I keep track of most contests I've entered, and out of around 120 total, about 20% ended without a winner. 1 out of 3 is a bit higher number percentage-wise, but spread out over a larger quantity of contests, I think a safe average estimate of 20-30% is around the norm.

I put together a list of tips to help designers protect themselves around here, and compiled the info into a brief thread. You can check it out here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just entered a new one, let's see how it goes
    WebTouchUp.com