User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question I need your advice on this puzzling problem

Hi,

Maybe one of you, graphic genius, could tell me why my AOL browser has this effect on the look of my graphics and why it subsequently affects the look of my graphics on IE.

A couple of months ago, I created some graphics for my sites with Photoshop. When I optimized my graphics in JPEG files, I made sure that I created the smallest file possible without affecting the quality of my graphics. Once done, everything looked good on IE.

But when I looked at my site through AOL 6.0 browser--WOW--everything looked fuzzy--especially the earth picture. When I went back to my I.E., everything looked fuzzy too. I had to reboot my computer, and take a look again at my site with IE, to see that my graphics looked fine. But when I checked back with my AOL browser, my graphics looked fuzzy again—and, once more, my graphics looked fuzzy on my IE 6.0!

To handle the problem, I increased the quality of my JPEG graphics to “high”, but they now take longer to download.

Is it my AOL browser that is defective? All of the other sites on the Net look fine with both of my browsers. I get this strange phenomenon only when I look at my site while my graphics are optimized below “high”.

I need to give my site a complete make over. But before doing so, I would like to know what caused this strange phenomenon, so that I can optimize my graphics without affecting their quality.

Any suggestions??

PS: If you take a look at my graphics on my site, you’ll see that they look fine—at least I hope so. They are optimized at “high” with photoshop.
    Last edited by SheriffG.Guirguis; Feb 9, 2002 at 04:42.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to try disabling an option called Compress Graphics in your AOL browser off.

I don't have AOL so I do not know the exact name of the option, good luck
    Jeroen Mulder

w: www.jeroenmulder.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Well, that was simple.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahaha, no problem
    Jeroen Mulder

w: www.jeroenmulder.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, AOL uses it's own image format to give you the illusion of a faster connection. It converts jpeg images into the .art format on their servers and then sends it downstream to your AOL using visitors. At least, that's how I think it works. :-)

~~Ian