User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help for a Ruby Newbie!!

Hi all --

Please take it easy on me, as I am a newbie to all of this -- I am really only proficient in html -- so this is a pretty big stretch for me.

I recently purchased Patrick Lenz's Ruby book in hopes of expanding into developing web applications... Well, I'm stuck. I downloaded Ruby, Gems, and the Rails Framework -- and all the checks went fine. However, after downloading mysql, I can't seem to get into the mysql command line interface.

I am on a G5 Power Mac, running os 10.4. The only MySQL command that I can get a response from is the following:

Code MySQL:
    jason-groons-power-mac-g5:~ JasonGroon$ ps -ax | grep mysql
      756  ??  S      0:00.03 /bin/sh ./bin/mysqld_safe --datadir=/usr/local/mysql/
      775  ??  S      0:00.41 /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld --basedir=/usr/local/mysq
      803  p1  R+     0:00.00 grep mysql
    jason-groons-power-mac-g5:~ JasonGroon$

Everything else comes back like this:

Code MySQL:
    jason-groons-power-mac-g5:~ JasonGroon$ mysql5
    -bash: mysql5: command not found

Any advice would be greatly appreciated -- I'm sure that I'm missing something simple here. Thanks

Jason

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you try running 'mysql' instead of 'mysql5'?

If that doesn't work, try typing in 'mysql' at a command prompt and tapping tab twice instead of enter. It'll list all the commands that it can find that starts with mysql.

If you don't see a long list of commands, then you'll probably need to update your search path in either .profile in your home directory or /etc/profile to contain the directory where the mysql binaries are (probably /usr/local/mysql/BIN/ according to your ps output).

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can find out where mysql is by typing `whereis mysql`.

P.S. meaningful topic titles please.