User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS / I.E.7 problem

Hello there,

I'm using ' HTML Utopia: Designing Without Tables Using CSS' to try and build my first site using the CSS to control the layout.

The problem I am having is that every time I view a page in Internet Explorer 7 the information bar displays a warning message saying "To help protect your security, IE has restricted this webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls that could access your computer. ....."

This also happens with the examples given in the book.

Does anyone know if it is possible to prevent this?

Thanks,

D

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using your local computer to store the files? If so, you might want to get a Web server (either a remote server or XAMPP).

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could change your security settings in IE, but this is a pain in the butt and not advisable. You would be better off running your pages through a webserver. Personally, I have installed Apache along with PHP and MySQL on my development laptop and configured them to only respond to local host. This allows me to do the testing I need to do without necessarily being connected to the Internet. If you don't have the skills to install the web server software on your own computer, just use your regular web hosting account as Dan suggested.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    XAMPP pretty much takes care of the "technical issues" regarding Apache, PHP and MySQL, but is recommended ONLY for local development and testing.

If you're going to be online and run the server, I strongly suggest you change the port to 8080 (from its default of 80).

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d4vide View Post
    Hello there,

I'm using ' HTML Utopia: Designing Without Tables Using CSS' to try and build my first site using the CSS to control the layout.

The problem I am having is that every time I view a page in Internet Explorer 7 the information bar displays a warning message saying "To help protect your security, IE has restricted this webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls that could access your computer. ....."

This also happens with the examples given in the book.

Does anyone know if it is possible to prevent this?

Thanks,

D
    May be you should change your IE settings. Note, IE uses security zones, that are far from secure. Hint: Cross site / browser scripting.

If it is a parsing problem in IE that there are a lot of in CSS, try the following KW search on Google:

IE CSS Hack + problem related KW's.
    Last edited by kgun; Jul 5, 2007 at 11:38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In regards to running a server on your computer and being on the internet, instead of obscuring your sever by changing ports (which is a useless form of protection), simply tell the server to only listen to 127.0.0.1, which is your local host loopback. In Apache the configuration line would be:

Listen 127.0.0.1:80

By doing this the server is not accessible via the Internet even if the computer is connected to the Internet because it isn't listening to the computer's Internet IP address. With Dan's solution the server would be still accepting connections from the Internet, and thus would be vulnerable to port sniffing bots (which don't only sniff port 80).
    InternetSAR.org

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW! That's great, thanks. Would never have thought of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KLB View Post
    In regards to running a server on your computer and being on the internet, instead of obscuring your sever by changing ports (which is a useless form of protection), simply tell the server to only listen to 127.0.0.1, which is your local host loopback. In Apache the configuration line would be:

Listen 127.0.0.1:80

By doing this the server is not accessible via the Internet even if the computer is connected to the Internet because it isn't listening to the computer's Internet IP address. With Dan's solution the server would be still accepting connections from the Internet, and thus would be vulnerable to port sniffing bots (which don't only sniff port 80).
    Which I admit to forgetting to include. That's what happens when you're in a building with no A/C in the middle of the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Which I admit to forgetting to include. That's what happens when you're in a building with no A/C in the middle of the summer.
    You could always move to Oklahoma.
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, I don't want to run into the blue marsupial that rules Tulsa with an iron paw (it's a BattleTech joke).

Actually, I should see when she's heading back to Illinois soon...