SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie help, Installing MySQL & php on Win2k Server & IIS 5

Hello everyone , I'm new here as well as to using php & mysql. I'm finishing up my MCSE track & am busy studying for my cert tests so I don't have much time to research all of this. I was hoping some of you guru's could point me in the right direction & save me some precious time that I seem to never have enough of.

I need to setup a few forums for various reasons, for my class to use, for my Counter-Strike clan, and for my website for the business I'm trying to get started.

I have a Windows 2000 Server running IIS 5. I would like to use this for now since I don't have the time to learn Linux yet. I have built a Red Hat 7.2 box but I know nothing about Apache or much about Linux itself yet and as I mentioned, my time is spread thin. If it is easier to install the two on a linux box, perhaps I can reload linux & do it that way. I will leave that open for discussion. Either way, I want to be able to host mulitple sites with that will each have their own forums. I downloaded MySQL 3.23.47 & 4.0.1a, neither of them were documented in a fashion I could understand as far as the installation goes. I don't know how to compile the files. Is there an .exe type installation that will self install mysql & php for me?

Thanks in advance for taking time to help me out, I appreciate it greatly & if I can help with anything in return I would be glad too!

Sincerely,
    Marc aka Modsquad

P.S. I've used the phpBB & really liked them before, any suggestions on similar BB's that I might consider?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a zipped MySQL install on their www site: http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-3.23.html
    I found it quite easy to install ... just answer the questions and it was done really.

There is also a PHP installer : http://www.php.net/downloads.php
    However I found that on my W2k/IIS install I had to do some of the install manually - App Mappings and the like, so I got the full zip package as well.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

see pdf intro at www.thickbook.com
    zein

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd second the thickbook advice, In fact it's worth getting the book for the installation advice and software alone (includes mysql, php4 and apache for both Windows and Linux).

I believe its called "PHP, Fast and easy web development). It will also help you configure Apache for Windoze - a good intro if you're thinking about monkeying with it and Linux at a later date.

One question though....If you're gonna run 2000 , IIS etc - why not go for Snitz forums (www.snitz.com). Free, very similar to the phpBB / vBulletin type forums, and ready to roll with your current set up.....

I'm a Linux/apache/php convert, but thought you should know there is an easier way!
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!!

A big thanks for those that took time to answer my question, this is the first chance I've had to come back & have a look. I'll check out your suggestions & once again, thanks!

-Marc