SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternatives to Drum Scans?

I have recieved a quote on performing drum scans to recieve digital proofs on a series of 17 watercolor paintings. The proofs will be used to create professional unnumbered prints, images for a book publication and internet graphics.

6in X 6in proofs (not color corrected) - approx. $1000
    12in X 12in proofs (not color corrected) - approx. $2000
    12in X 12in proofs (color corrected) - approx. $4300

These are prices in Canadian $. The company is in Toronto.

What are alternative ways to produce digital proofs for these 3 applications (prints, book, internet)?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an artist friend who does these large paintings. Arabic calligraphy to be exact. He used to have a professional photographer who would take pictures of the paintings. The transparancies would then be drum scanned. This is fine for books etc . The drum scans from transparancies should cost no more than 50 for an a4 scan.

However he also had silk screen prints of his work done and if i remember the repro for that was very expensive, more in line with the quotes you are getting.

qamar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Building on what qamar said: If you take well-lighted, sharply focused photos of the artwork, you could then have the negs scanned onto Kodak Pro Photo CD.

http://www.proset.com/kdkcd.htm

This would be much cheaper than drum scanning. But not as accurate.

1-5 images 18.00 (USD) each
    6-10 images 16.00 (USD) each

http://www.proset.com/clrprice.htm

(I have not used this particular company.)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If one of the outputs from these scans is going to be professional prints - then they are going to have to be very good scans. I don't think you will be able to avoid using drum scans if you want this sort of quality - even books usually require their graphics to be drum scanned if they are to look good. It comes down to the number of samples per inch that a drum scanner can achieve in comparison to other ways of digitising graphics.

I would be inclined to get quotes from a number of different places and just see if the prices you have quoted are representative of the going rate for this sort of work.

I think however that this is a case of getting what you pay for.